Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Living on a high floor

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    If you have young toddlers at home, MUST install bars on windows that open. A two-year old fell off a window just a few weeks ago. For fixed windows that don't open, they are thick and sturdy enough to withstand typhoons, so there is no need to worry about kids breaking them.

We installed bars just a month ago when our baby started to cruise... [sigh] the bars totally ruin our once beautiful view...

logans is offline Registered User
    Do all the buildings allow you to do install bars? How do you organise it?

There is also a balconey off the living room. Obviously I would never let my kids out there (even supervised) on 31st floor. Any ideas how to secure the sliding doors???

val23 is offline Registered User

Hello there.

I used to live on the 43rd floor (The Waterfront). At that time, my toddler was only a baby. The biggest problem I had was the heat. Every summertime, the heat in higher floors is unbearable. Also during strong typhoons, the building shakes so you would really feel it the higher you go. Right now, I live on the 20th floor (Bel-Air). My son is 3.5 yrs old. Our balcony railings are taller than him and he is aware that it is dangerous to bend over it. I don't put bars as it destroys the views and I don't like the feeling of being trapped by bars. Yes my biggest fear is a fire or a false fire alarm. Blackouts are another fear. But then these two instances rarely happen in Hong Kong.

capital is offline Banned
    A question about the bars, are the bars fixed, or can they be opened in case of fire and you need to escape through the window?

joannek is offline Registered User
    i installed bars that can be opened, but with a screwdriver. i didn't install the ones with locks cos once my 2 yr old have seen me unlock it, she'd have learnt how to do it herself.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    The buildings usually require you to follow a certain standard when installing the bars. You can ask your management office for the specifications.

Agree with joannek, the bars with locks are just going to attract the toddlers to play with them. In fact the guy who installed the bars for us also warned us about that so we installed fixed ones.

The last time i recall an electricity blackout was like 30 years ago. If your building is less than 15 years old, chances of a blackout is slim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12