Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Living on a high floor

logans is offline Registered User

Living on a high floor

Hi everyone
    We are moving to HK at the end of the month, we found a great apartment in Tai Tam (The Manhattan) but the apartment is on the 31st floor. We have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and I am worried about being up so high in case of a fire or power cut.
    Does anyone else live up that high?
    Do I have a reason to be worried?
    We have to decide this weekend so any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    We live on the 49th floor(Bel air) and although I have never thought of fire or power cut, the thought of my 3 year old trying to climb over has definitely crossed my mind.As a result we have very firm rules about the balcony door being locked at all times unless an adult is present. Also I haven't been able to bring myself to buy any outdoor furniture yet. I figure without anything to climb on to outside, that it would be impossible for him to get over the balcony as the sides are very high. Good luck with your decision.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We live on a higher floor and I guess it would be a problem if a fire broke out. Not sure what the problem would be if the electricity went out as there are stairs. Might be a problem if the power went out for weeks, I guess.
    If I were you I wouldn't live so high up, since you are already scared of possibilities.
    PS. If you search this site and GeoExpat, you will find a thread about the pros and cons of living on a higher floor. I think it is a Geoexpat thread, though.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 08-05-2007 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added PS

joannek is offline Registered User
    i used to live on the 36th floor. in hk, there have never been a powerblack out (knock-on-wood). the high rises always have back up electricity for the elevators. the 20 yrs i
    ve lived on 36th floor, there was only 2 occasions when the power had to be cut of during 10am to 4pm for regular maintenace of the elevators. but they usually try to resume it as soon as possible.

i think safety regarding the kids climbing up the windows or balcony are more a concern.

JoTs is offline Registered User
    I live on the 46th floor (Belcher's) and the thought of power cut/fire never really occured to me. We don't have a balcony and all of the windows have safety bars so there is no way my son could climb out.

babyt is offline Registered User

Window safety bars

I have a question: do you put safety bars on all windows or only the windows that open? We have some glass windows that don't open and I am concerned that the baby might punch through the glass. The management of the building assured me that the glass is shatter-proof but I still worry

JoTs is offline Registered User
    The only windows in our flat with bars are the ones that open. I am sure that the glass is v tough - can't imagine that an adult is strong enough to break it, mind a baby!

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    When I moved into my present flat, my kids were toddlers. I had window bars installed on all the windows that opened, because I wanted to have peace of mind. It was not very expensive.

It's only been in the last year that we removed the bars (the kids are now 9 and 11).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast