Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sudden Swollen Feet - Shrek!!!

mmec is offline Registered User

Sudden Swollen Feet - Shrek!!!

Woah! Everything was fine until the 32nd week of my pregnancy. I was sitting on the couch on that night and look at the top of my feet - they have swollen so much and reminds me of Shrek's feet! Any way to ease them as they are not only swollen, but quite painful too.

Looking forward to receiving some advice!

HappyV is offline Registered User

I don;t want to alarm you, but go and see a doctor immediately. Swollen feet/legs/hands is one of the warning signs for pre-ecclampsai( used to be called toxemia). It can indicate that your blood pressure is too high, and can lead to premmature labout.
    I am talking worst case scenario, but better safe than sorry.
    Good Luck

MickeyMom is offline Registered User

Agree. See your doctor right away. When I was pregnant, from the 30th week of pregnany, part of the check would be if i had any swelling, especially on hands and feet (fortunately i did not) but doctor explained that he was looking our for signs of "pre-eclampsia"

Take care!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

If you are worried certainly go and ask your Dr., but I do think swollen feet and ankles, as well as fingers and hands are all common symptoms of pregnancy.

At 9 months my feet, hands, fingers etc. were so swollen- I couldn't pull my wedding ring off but I was fine....however everything really got swollen the two or three days before my son was born and looking back I now see that as a sign that he was ready to come! Although at 32 wks prob. a bit early for you!

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

erm...same with me. At 32 weeks and swollen, but not excessively so, so I'm taking it as part of the whole process. But do suggest you see your Obs for peace of mind.......I can only wear sandals now as I am bursting all my old shoes !!

Sumei is offline Registered User

Agreed with bekyboo44, swollen feet and hands are very common, esp in the warmer months - the way I prevented it with both pregnancies is to drink heaps of water throughout the day (esp morning and afternoon and not at night unless you want to be peeing all night!) - the body retains water when you are dehydrated so drink water like there is no tomorrow (sometimes I could feel my fingers and feet begin to swell and would immediately start drinking!).....also, when you are seated, elevate your feet with a footstool or sometime, literally put your feet up as much as possible. Also do lots of hand and feet circulation exercises whenever you ahve a free moment......best of luck!

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

I think it is a good idea to check with your doctor just in case. Chances are it will be nothing but if it is pre-eclamsia it could be dangerous if not managed. I was massively swollen in my first preganacy - I would have tide marks at the top of my thighs by the end of the day. The one good side of excessive swelling is that you loose it all within 10 days of giving birth. A good bit of rapid weight loss is good for the soul of a sleep deprived shattered new mum!

LeahH is offline Registered User

I have the same problem at 37 weeks - got the ok from the doctor, it's just the heat and regular swelling.

L'Occitane do a lovely pink water retention gel - it seems to help a bit when my husband massages it into my feet. Also raising them up in the evenings as much as possible is a good thing.