Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP! Toddler not eating

LittleLams is offline Registered User

HELP! Toddler not eating

My 2 year old daughter had a fever a week ago and even though the fever subsided after 1 day, she has stopped eating her food. I have tried different types of rice, pasta, noddles and she refuses. Although she still takes her fresh milk (refuses formula). Added to that we just terminated our DH who has been the one feeding her in the past. Any ideas as to what I can do about this frsutrating situation? What supplements should I be giving her? How long can a child last without eating before it gets serious?

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    maybe she hasn't fully recovered from her fever (physically ok but she might still be feeling "under"), give her time. Was told by my doctors that children eat when they are hungry. She may also still be suffering from loss of appetite due to the illness. Just keep giving her whatever she wants for now - milk, cookies, fruits, jello or vegetables cut up (grazing foods).

My son would ask for pizza for at least 2 days everytime he recovers from fever/colds and i would give him just that... after the 2nd day, he will go back to regular food.

goodluck

turtle is offline Registered User
    I had a similar experience and tried to make eating more fun for my daughter. I turned sandwiches into smiley faces and lamb chops into lollipops......... I cut carrots into the shapes of flowers and cook them and now no longer have the problem.

If it is purely illness that is making her refuse food don't worry, she will make up for it when she is feeling better.

Good luck

lengli is offline Registered User
    I had the same experience exactly like yours. My bb got a fever three weeks ago and he completely stopped eating, except biscuits and breastmilk.

Even though his fever has subsided since, it took about three weeks for his appettite to improve. Even now, he has not gone back completely to his regular diet.

I know how frustrating it can be. But from my own experiences and after hearing from other mommies, it is best not to force the bb to eat anything if they do not want to. Internally, their body is still recovering from the fever and it will take some time (maybe weeks) before they start eating regularly again.

What i have learned is that whatever the bb wants to eat now, be it bisucits, fresh milk, fruits, just let them have it. They will eat when they are hungry and dont get too stressed about it.

good luck!

LittleLams is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the encouragement. Today, she ate a tad bit more - one whole biscuit and a few grains of rice!!!! I just hope that things will improve soon - it is very distressing for me to see her so thin!

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User
    Times like these I usually tempt my 15 month old with his usual favorites, like yogurt, custard, bikkies, soft buttered buns, and he loves his pears and bananas..., though nothing close to being main meals, at least he's eating and not exactly junk food so that works for us.

But I find with toddler stage, their appetite fluctuates from day to day, some days are good and some aren't, could be that their concentration at meal times are side tracked with so many other things happening around them, especially when the tv is on. Also now that they're older they have taste preferences, they become choosy and fussy but eventually they'll have to eat when their little tummies rumble.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    yeah. my paed always tells me, toddlers are like adults, they will eventually eat when they get hungry. just have healthy food available. but yes, it still always drives me nuts when my son refuses to eat!