Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bringing newborns to work

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

Bringing newborns to work

I've been reading a few treads about working mothers and I have a curious question. Has anyone ever brought their newborns (8 weeks to 6 months) to work so they can breastfeed and be around them? I will be a first time mom and from my understanding babies mostly just sleep and eat in the early monthes. I am working at a family office so it would not be a problem for me to bring the baby in as long as I can actually get some work done. If is feasible at all? I am alway so jealous of some European countries since they have infant and daycare in their office buildings and working moms have so many options. Has anyone ever tried this or am I just being ignorant about the needs of a newborn child?

mscheerful is offline Registered User

I brought my almost 6 months old to work last month (he was barely 5 months). Although it is our own business and we kept him in the meeting room with a mothercare mattress to sleep or laying down. He was sleeping so i went out to get a cup of tea, before i can get the tea i heard a loud cries, run and check on him, he was on the floor, mattress was 2" high!!! I was also breast feeding him. I was not a help to my husband (The OL was on leave for a week). The next day my husband told me not to come as he has to help to care for the baby and the business, a double work for him.

I think it is fine for the 1st 4 months to bring baby to work but once they start to turn/roll over and wants to be on tummy a lot, it is a bit challenging to work and take care of baby.

You can give a try but we have decided not to after one try :)

Last edited by mscheerful; 08-08-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

kashismum is offline Registered User

Ambitious

I'd say you'd have to extra lucky to have a super-easy baby to be able to bring him/her to work AND expect to get some work done.

For the first couple of months, you'll be reeling and wondering what happenned to your so-called normal life. Even the 8 weeks we get as maternity leave here is essential, in my book.

Would it be feasible to have a full-time carer for the baby (helper, mother-in-law, whoever) and bring the baby to your office for feeds, if you don't live too far? Otherwise, invest in a good pump if you plan to return to work.

Good luck!

Matty is offline Registered User

Agree with Kashismum, you'd have to be one of the lucky few to have a super easy baby to make it work.
    My son didn't sleep for more than 30mins at a time during the day for the first few months, and cried 90% of the time he was awake.
    He needed constant attention.

jane01 is offline Registered User

My first screamed day and night for the first 3 months and beyond. She could keep herself awake for 12 hours + from about 2 weeks old. She never slept for more than 20-40 mins in the day. So for her, a big NO.

My second was a lot easier, although the first 6-8 weeks were hard at night. I wouldn't have wanted to work during the day because she was awake so much at night, so still NO.

But I know other newborns are just a delight. Don't let my two cheeky monkeys put you off !

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

Unhappy Thanks

Thanks for sharing the advice. I guess that's why there's never been a post about bringing babies to work. I am really hoping I can breastfeed for at least 6 month so I will have to figure something out. I've read that giving the baby the bottle, even if it contains breastmilk, is not great for breatfeeding since they prefer the easier task of suckling the bottle than the breast.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabibunny View Post
    Thanks for sharing the advice. I guess that's why there's never been a post about bringing babies to work. I am really hoping I can breastfeed for at least 6 month so I will have to figure something out. I've read that giving the baby the bottle, even if it contains breastmilk, is not great for breatfeeding since they prefer the easier task of suckling the bottle than the breast.
    Breastfeeding and working are not mutually exclusive. It does pose an additional challenge, but one that thousands of mums overcome all the time, including myself.

I suggest you go to a LLL meeting where you can ask all your questions.

Basically, working mums have no choice but to have their LOs drink EBM from bottles. If you wait 6-8 weeks before pumping or introducing the bottle, this will help your supply get established first.

Both my babies took the bottle just fine as long as I'm out of the flat.

HTH.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I have an 8 week old and a 16 month old and work from home. even with a helper to take out my first born i can't get anything done...

Our first baby was a lot easier than the second one (who has reflux) but trying to work was impossible even with him - though i had no helper and no family around. Remember that babies need to feed all the time in the first few months and if you have trouble breastfeeding you will probably spend all your time just trying to get feeding right.

They also need stimulation after 5 or 6 weeks when they suddenly become quite aware of everything around them. You can't expect them to just lie there and sleep forever ( I wish!). I feel bad leaving him alone for long at all. How long can they lie on an activity mat looking at some stupid fake monkey

So sorry to say, i just don't think it's possible.