Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

1 yr vaccination & egg allergy

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

1 yr vaccination & egg allergy

my LO has reaction to egg yolk. The 1 yr vaccination is coming up and our Pd said the regular MMR vaccine contains egg protein and we would need to order a special one that is protein-free from hospitals. But when I called St Paul's Hospital, they don't seem to quite understand what I need...

Anyone with babies who are allergic to egg proteins? What did you do with the 1 yr MMR vaccine?

Thanks!

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    Our allergist (Adrian Wu in Princes Building) and paed's (all through Quality Healthcare) said that the MMR was fine in children with egg allergy, as it is a minute ammount.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as egg free MMR vaccinaion. Though I haven't reserached it.

We have all our standard vaccinations through the Public Heathcare systen at the local MCHC. When we went allong to have the MMR they refused to administer it there and referred my son to have it at a day hospital at Princess Margaret Hospital in Lai Cho Kok, Kowloon.

The problem with this is that they only hold a clinic once a month and you have to stay around for 2-3 hours after the vaccination is given depending upon the severity of your childs allergy.

Klam is offline Registered User
    How bad is the reaction to the egg yolk?
    My son had a reaction to egg whites just before he was due to have the MMR, he came out in small pinkish spots all over his legs, but our ped said the allergy wasn't serious enough to stop having the MMR. She said that allergies have to be very serious eg. seriously puffed up face etc. before an alternative is considered.
    We went ahead with the MMR and my son had no fever or any problems and I'll probably try him on egg whites again when he turns 18mths.

Is your ped not able to supply the egg protein free MMR? and maybe get another doctors opinion if your LO allergy was not that serious.
    Last edited by Klam; 08-08-2007 at 09:30 PM.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    ELT, my daughter is severely allergic to egg yolk and lesser to egg white. She will have puff-up tomato face if she TOUCHES eggs. so, we were also extremely concerned for her MMR. Our PD laughed it off and said the vaccine is raised in chick embryos ie it is different from eating egg yolk with all the egg proteins in it. I was quite offended when he laughed, whereupon I still insisted he showed me where his adren. tank and epipen shots are just in case. Turned out she was perfectly fine. Not even the typical spot rashes after 10 days or fever. Nothing. I do not think there is an egg-free alternative - believe you me, I did extensive research on this topic.

We ourselves decided to hang around the PD's clinic after shot for a good 30 mins just to make sure she is not gonna react or sth. Doctor was very amused....

capital is offline Banned
    egg white has much more protien in it than egg yolk. If your child can eat egg white they should be fine. MMR is grown in chick embryo, the amount of egg protein left after everything is purified is so little. I don't think that there is an egg free MMR vaccine available, but I have heard the odd situation when someone had a history of anaphylaxisis where vaccines are given in a more controlled setting, just in case of a reaction. At the very least anyone who immunizes should always have epinephrine on hand, even if there is no history of allergy.

capital is offline Banned
    It is funny that the doctor was amused by waiting 30 minutes. The health region where I live recommend everyone wait for 15 min, and if you have a history of anaphylaxisis to anything, it is recommended to wait 30 minutes. The rate of anapylaxsis following vaccine is 1-3/1 million. Very rare.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge about the subject. Our baby had runny nose, tears and rashes all over the body and threw up 3 times shortly after having very small amount of egg yolk. Sounds like it should not be a problem to have the MMR shot. I think it is a great idea to wait 30 min at the hospital just in case there is any reaction.