Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Is powdered baby formula toxic???

captainmal2 is offline Registered User

Question Is powdered baby formula toxic???

Hi - we just recently had a baby and we're trying to decide whether or not to breastfeed our child. We were originally going to use powdered formula, but we heard disturbing rumors of it being contaminated. I then read this:

nicksteinlaw.com/news/articles

So have any of you heard of this??? Is this a serious problem? Either way, I think we're just going to go with breastfeeding - I don't want to risk my child getting spinal meningitis or something.

Thanks!

-Mal-

Last edited by rani; 08-13-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: link removed

carang is offline Registered User

in hk, hundreds of thousands of babies are fed formula. they seem to be doing alright.

i'm sure that all over the world, babies are fed formula and they too seem to be doing alright.

there was a case a few years ago of a chinese brand of formula substituting the nutritional content of formula with something that had no nutritional content what-so-ever and a couple of babies died from malnutrition. however, it was limited to china.

if you've already had your baby, you'd better hurry up and decide how you are going to feed it.

my first was 1/2 bf, 1/2 formula. my second has been exclusively bf(she's just over 6 months now). there's something to be said for both. it just depends on your own, personal circumstances.

good luck!

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding is healthier, but sometimes you are going to need the formula.
    I second Carang---people all over the world use formula and there doesn't seem to be a problem, except with that Chinese incident she mentions. Not sure I would buy the stuff from China. I just checked and the formula we buy here is from Ireland.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Breastfeeding is healthier, but sometimes you are going to need the formula.
    It is a personal choice, but the statement that 'sometimes you are going to need the formula' is totally false. It is not a need; it is a choice.

Matty is offline Registered User

Sometimes you do NEED to use formula.
    I tried to get my child to breastfeed for 6 weeks, with the help of a lactation consultant by my side.
    We even went so far as to half starve him in the hope that he would latch on, but he just couldn't get it.
    I expressed as much as I could, but still needed to supplement him with formula.
    In another place and time I'm sure he would have died.

I was devastated that I couldn't breastfeed, but at the same time was made to feel horrible by some people that felt I just didn't TRY hard enough and just CHOSE to formula feed.

The ironic thing is, my son seems to be one of the healthiest babies around, is now 10mths, has charted constantly on the 75th percentile, has never been sick aside from 2 colds, and sleeps and eats like a champion.

If my next one doesn't bf immediatley, I'm going straight for the formula.

My advice would be, don't feed your baby ANYTHING that comes from China.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kashismum View Post
    It is a personal choice, but the statement that 'sometimes you are going to need the formula' is totally false. It is not a need; it is a choice.
    Okay, right "choice" not "need". I would wager that most make the choice sometime before the baby switches to all solid foods.
    But, either way, it isn't toxic.

captainmal2 is offline Registered User

Smile

Thanks for the help everyone! We decided to go with breastfeeding and, so far, that seems to be doing really well! We might switch over to powder formula eventually, but we'll see! It definitely won't be formula from China!

-Mal-

Last edited by rani; 08-13-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: links removed