Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Umbilical Cord around Baby's Neck

mmec is offline Registered User

Umbilical Cord around Baby's Neck

During the last two visits, my doctor has noted the u-cord to be around my little darling's neck - baby is 35 weeks now. She says I may have to opt for a c-section and suggests to do it 2 weeks prior to my expected delivery date.

Would like some opinions from the expert moms --

1. In these cases, is it risky to insist on a natural vaginal birth?

2. If I elect for a caesarean, may it be done earlier than just 2 weeks prior to the expected due date.

As I am pressured to make a decision over the next 2 weeks, I really want to thank you all who will be replying.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

I didnt know they could see the umbilical cord around the babys neck through an ultrasound, one of my babies was born (via C-S) had the cord wrapped around her neck three times, yet it was never noted beforehand...

I would be most curious to hear from the other ladies here. If they can really see the cord is wrapped around babies neck, then i think C-S is the safest....

sky123 is offline Registered User

Yes you can see quite clearly sometimes, especially nowadays with the 3-4D scans.

Matty is offline Registered User

In most cases the cord being wrapped around the baby's neck is NOT a reason to need a C-section.
    I would get a second opinion.
    My son's cord was around his neck, and vaginal birth was no problem.

The statistic is something like 40% of babies have the cord around their neck, and most of the time Dr's are unaware until the baby is born.

I guess it's just another example of unecessary worry because of too many ultrasounds these days.

arismom is offline Registered User

just to share my exprience:

my doctor noticed the umbilical cord around my baby's neck during an ultrasound at week 38. at this stage, i was still all set for a natural birth.

at week 39, i went into the hospital because i was bleeding, and at that time, the doctor noticed the umibilical cord was wrapped a bit tighter around baby's neck - and they could see this through the blood flowing through the umbilical cord. as the cord was too tight around and blood flow was restricted, we had to go in for an emergency c-section.

today, 11 months on, i still dont know if i could have insisted for a natural birth or not; and to a certain extent it does not matter as long as mother and baby are safe.

good luck.

capital is offline Banned

I would get more information first. Lots and lots of babies are born with the cord around the neck and are delivered vaginally just fine.However there is a difference between the cord around the neck and a true knot in the cord which can imped blood flow, this should be able to see on ultrasound because part of the u/s they look at the blood flow through the neck, whether c/s is warrented in such a case I have no idea.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Guess I am a lot more cautious than the other posters....but if an u/s showed the cord around my babies neck I would agree to the c-section on the spot...d I just couldn't take the risk...but that's me....
    When my waters broke with my son they contained meconium.....my Dr said I could go ahead with vaginal delivery if I wanted but that the baby would have to be carefully monitored because meconium can be a sign of stress and possibly distress....I agreed to a c/s on the spot... no risk taking for me!

Matty is offline Registered User

There are definatley other factors if added to a cord around the neck, that would indicate a need for a c-section.
    For example if the baby's heartbeat drops during a contraction, or if there is a prescence of meconium in the amniotic fluid that is a bad sign.
    The best situation is to have a Dr the gives you all the information so that you can make the right choice, rather than scaring you half to death unecessarily.

Get all the information on what each problem means so that you can make the right decisions for you and your baby.
    C- sections are major surgery and not without their own risks.

Good luck mmec, keep us posted on how things go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast