Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby rooming in at hospital

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

Baby rooming in at hospital

Does HK hospitals allow rooming in full time or do you have to be in a private room? I might be giving birth at HK Sanatorium Hospital and I'm wondering what your experiences are.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    You should give them a call cos all have different policies. But most only allow full time rooming if you have a private room.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Public hospitals, at least the Queen Mary where I gave birth, allow and encourage baby to be by your bedside. I was glad because it allowed me to get breastfeeding off to a great start, plus helped me to get comfortable with my baby before I went home. At many private hospitals (check with each individual one - I know the Matilda is an exception to this rule), if you don't have a private room you may have to visit your baby in a nursery. Someone I know who gave birth at the Union hospital didn't get to see her baby for 24hrs because she had a C-section under general anaesthetic and wasn't able to get to the nursery. Her husband also wasn't allowed to see the baby during this time because he did not have an appointment to see the baby... So if you give birth in a private hospital, quiz them carefully to make sure they do not have these inhumane policies, especially if you plan to breastfeed! I know a few people who have delivered in a public hospital because they felt strongly on this issue and could not afford the Matilda.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

wanting to room in

I was considering delivering at the hong kong sanatorium hospital since that's where I've had all my checkup. Originally I booked a semi-private room but after reading these posts called them to check about rooming in. To my surprise they said only private rooms allow rooming in so I have since changed my booking to a private room. I have my 20 week check up soom and will ask the doctor for his advice. I would definitely choose another hospital if they don't encourage rooming in a inital bonding at birth. I don't understand how these expensive private hospitals can be so backwards!