Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Dog and new born baby?worried first time mom

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    FROM http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...d-babies.shtml
    (just google "dog" and "new baby" and you will get lots of info!

The arrival home of a new baby should be as pleasurable experience for your dog as it is for the rest of the family. For this reason it is important that your dog is accustomed to as many of the likely changes before the actual arrival. Adapting to these changes and new routine can take sometime, so don't leave it to the last few weeks before starting.

First and foremost you must ensure you tackle any behaviour problems that may have a bearing on the health and safety of your new baby. Take a closer look at our behaviour web pages for guidance and where to find a good local animal behaviourist.
    The attention focused on new babies can cause jealousy within your dog. Although you may find this difficult, start to reduce the amount of attention you give your dog so that they get used to this before the baby arrives. Get your dog used to being left alone for short periods.
    Brush up on basic training and obedience. Your dog must be able to sit and lie down on command. Your dog must also understand good social etiquette and be able to settle when requested. This is particularly important for larger dogs where boisterous behaviour may be a danger to some babies.
    With a new baby comes a raft of new items, smells and sounds, many of which your dog will not be familiar with. Introduce items such as prams, playpens and highchairs into the household well before the baby arrives and place them in the expected locations. Start to train your dog to walk to heel alongside the pram. Try to teach your dog the difference between baby toys and his toys.
    If you have a good friend with a baby, ask if you and your dog can spend a little time with them. Keep your dog under strict control and keep the sessions brief. If possible, get a tape recording of baby noises and play it in the areas the baby is likely to be.
    It is likely that you will need to start to restrict your dog from certain areas and rooms. Your dog should certainly not be allowed in the baby's bedroom at anytime. Start this discipline as soon as possible so that it is engrained well before the baby arrives and does not associate the exclusion with the baby. Consider crate training if you have not already done so

What should I do when the baby arrives at home?
    Try and minimise the amount of fuss and excitement when your new baby arrives home. Allow your dog to investigate and have a brief sniff.
    Ensure there are lots of treats around to reward your dog for behaving correctly around the baby. They will soon come to realise that nice things happen when the baby is around.
    Always employ positive training techniques and never reprimand you dog around the baby or for approaching it in the wrong way. Always reward when they are doing it right.
    Avoid placing your baby on the floor with your dog and certainly NEVER leave your baby alone with your dog in a room.

suzannal is offline Registered User
    My dog pretty much ignored the baby when he was small and not mobile, occasionally barked whenever the baby cried. Now that baby is bigger (almost 1 1/2 years old), the dog might bark when baby moves too quickly, but they are generally quite good buddies. My baby absolutely adores my dog, feed her leftover foods, and loves to pat her. Even when my dog barks at him, he shows no fear, and seems to quite enjoy it, as I think he has gotten used to that.

I really think my baby is much happier with the dog around, seeing we have no other children.

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by meimei View Post
    HI, I just bought the current issue of Parents magazine (from U.S.) and it has an article about having dogs and newborn together. If you don't want to get the magazine I can scan the article and email it to you. Just let me know your email address. I have a dog before I had my daughter. I bought a big doll home and kept telling my dog to leave the doll alone as if it was the baby. He stopped hassling the doll after a few days. Is your dog obedient? My dog is quite good that way. Lately he did make some grumpy sound in front of my daughter since she's getting more mobile nowadays. So I scold him and tell him not to do that anymore. He has never done it ever since.
    Good luck and hope this helps.
    Dear Meimei, thanks for your advise. i will try to get the magazine as i don't mind getting a copy to read up. Alot of people has given me advise about getting a doll to play pretend with the dog. Shall try to find one this weekend.
    I've also started to play baby crying sound in the house since yesterday. Our dog doesn't seem to react much to it....wandering why is that??? perhaps she knows it's an audio? As she normally don't react to television noise as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bekyboo44 View Post
    Hi,

We have two dogs and a ten month old and so far have encountered no problems! We had no intention of finding new homes for our dogs when our baby was born as we saw no reason why we couldn't all live together. Of course baby is our number one priority but we didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

For the first 6 months of our baby's life our dogs ignored him....and even now that he's mobile they still pretty much ignore him.

He however loves them- when they come near him, when he gets a chance to stroke their fur he breaks into a huge smile and starts laughing!

The only time the dogs feel threatened is when he tries to take their biscuits and chews, so am teaching him not too and keeping him away when they have a snack.

It's very important for us that our son and any future children grow up with pets.

There are things you can do to prepare your dogs for your new baby....I know it's quite common in HK for people to rehouse their dogs/pets when a baby is due....but it's not something that is common where I'm from and also where my husband is from....

Hi bekyboo44, do you mind if i ask what breed are your dogs? I've heard from the trainer that often the breed of dog has a distinctive personality traits, eg. labrador are great with kids and can tolerate kid's handling.

Thanks a bunch Wasabibunny! i've googled and found a lot of websites regarding this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by wasabibunny View Post
    FROM http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...d-babies.shtml
    (just google "dog" and "new baby" and you will get lots of info!

The arrival home of a new baby should be as pleasurable experience for your dog as it is for the rest of the family. For this reason it is important that your dog is accustomed to as many of the likely changes before the actual arrival. Adapting to these changes and new routine can take sometime, so don't leave it to the last few weeks before starting.

First and foremost you must ensure you tackle any behaviour problems that may have a bearing on the health and safety of your new baby. Take a closer look at our behaviour web pages for guidance and where to find a good local animal behaviourist.
    The attention focused on new babies can cause jealousy within your dog. Although you may find this difficult, start to reduce the amount of attention you give your dog so that they get used to this before the baby arrives. Get your dog used to being left alone for short periods.
    Brush up on basic training and obedience. Your dog must be able to sit and lie down on command. Your dog must also understand good social etiquette and be able to settle when requested. This is particularly important for larger dogs where boisterous behaviour may be a danger to some babies.
    With a new baby comes a raft of new items, smells and sounds, many of which your dog will not be familiar with. Introduce items such as prams, playpens and highchairs into the household well before the baby arrives and place them in the expected locations. Start to train your dog to walk to heel alongside the pram. Try to teach your dog the difference between baby toys and his toys.
    If you have a good friend with a baby, ask if you and your dog can spend a little time with them. Keep your dog under strict control and keep the sessions brief. If possible, get a tape recording of baby noises and play it in the areas the baby is likely to be.
    It is likely that you will need to start to restrict your dog from certain areas and rooms. Your dog should certainly not be allowed in the baby's bedroom at anytime. Start this discipline as soon as possible so that it is engrained well before the baby arrives and does not associate the exclusion with the baby. Consider crate training if you have not already done so

What should I do when the baby arrives at home?
    Try and minimise the amount of fuss and excitement when your new baby arrives home. Allow your dog to investigate and have a brief sniff.
    Ensure there are lots of treats around to reward your dog for behaving correctly around the baby. They will soon come to realise that nice things happen when the baby is around.
    Always employ positive training techniques and never reprimand you dog around the baby or for approaching it in the wrong way. Always reward when they are doing it right.
    Avoid placing your baby on the floor with your dog and certainly NEVER leave your baby alone with your dog in a room.

Does anyone has contact for a good dog trainer especially with agressive dogs? Would like to have some contacts as back up plan in case the current trainer don't work out well.
    A trainer that's particularly well experience training a "mongrel" dog.
    Please advise....

carang is offline Registered User
    i have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. we take care of dogs for a living (when their owners go on holidays etc). we have NEVER had a problem and we have more dogs than most people can imagine living with. they live in our home with us as part of the family.

we have taught our son from the time he could crawl that there are certain ways you treat dogs. and precautions you take. when we go out, we always ask the owner if the dog is ok with kids before we approach the dog.

our son now tries to walk the dogs with daddy every morning.

we have NEVER left our son alone with the dogs, however as that just seems irresponsible.

another thing you could do is buy a "fence" to cordon off part of the house for the dog. then when the baby arrives you can introduce a towel or something the baby has slept on to the dog. (you can actually do this when you are still in the hospital, take a towel and put it under the baby when it sleeps. then have hubby take the towel home and give it to the dog to smell etc. but make sure that the dog does not play with it aggressively.)

the fence will give you that little bit of peace of mind. we have one that we use still, even though my sone has been able to open the gate on it since he was 18 months old!

carang is offline Registered User
    also, keep in mind that YOU need as much training as the dog does. a lot of dogs' behaviour can be traced to the handling the dog receives. many times, the owner, unwittingly aids the dog in it's misbehaviour.

check out CESAR MILAN. there is a dvd that you can order from amazon all about aggressive dogs and their handling.

good luck!
    Last edited by rani; 08-18-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: link added

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast