Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Dog and new born baby?worried first time mom

carang is offline Registered User
    i only wish! with my hips as bad as they are, i'm still carrying ALL of the baby weight, and i delivered 6 months ago!!!

i don't know if i should post them here, i don't have the owners permission, but you can check out our website:

http://www.dbdogdayz.com
    Last edited by rani; 08-20-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: link approved

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    not sure which were your dogs??

MrsP is offline Registered User
    We were quite lucky as we got our dog as a puppy and put her through the SPCA puppy training course which includes a section on training them not to snap if someone goes near their food. And she is a Labrador and has a great temperament for children. Our baby (now 2 years old) loves her and feeds her food and the dog is fab at hoovering up all the food spillages that the baby makes.

We did watch carefully when the baby first came home but made a big thing of stroking the dog whilst holding the baby and my helper still took her out for long walks. My biggest concern was whether the baby would display any allergies to the dog (and cat) fur but thankfully that was OK.

For us it was probably easier as we live in a village house and the dog was never meant to go upstairs anyway so we have always had a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs. And the baby and the dog were never left together unattended. We try and keep the baby away from the dog now if she is sleeping and if the dog gets fed up with being pulled about she just gets up and walks away, although we are still aware of the potential dangers and try to make sure the baby doesn't try and ride the dog like a pony all the time.

MrsP, it sounds like you did all the right things!! I hadn't considered allergies at all (silly me!)

carang is offline Registered User
    on the "about us". the black one is bigger than he appears and at last weigh in was about 52 kg, if i remember correctly...hubby takes them to the vet, so i only get the second hand account

there is a photo of hubby with the rhodesian ridgeback sitting beside him and hubby holding a chihuahua. the ridgeback is huge, but an absolute teddy bear! we love him to death! too bad, we only get him when owners are away!

great looking dogs Cara!! Thanks for identifying :)

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    Wow...it's such a relief to hear that i'm not alone in having these queries about dogs and new born. seeing most replies here, it's true that most of the dogs mentioned are smaller dogs.
    Our dog, is a regular size mongrel. I've started first lesson with our dog last week but not so sure about the trainer and besides i think she (the trainer) has really overcharged us. I've checked around (stupidly after the lesson as i was desperately trying to get the training to start asap) with another trainer, it's confirmed that the her price is really too high! HK800 an hour and she really looks at the time and ask immediately if i would like to extend to another hour, RIGHT ON THE DOT!
    Does anyone has contacts for good dog trainer who are good with agressive dogs?
    Has anyone heard of a trainer called Donsmith or Jackson? Please advise.
    Please anyone with experience of sending their dogs with a trainer, besides the one at SPAC ( i was told by the first trainer that the group class might be too overwhelming as our dog is "not so confident" hence the defensive agression because she is scared).
    Big THANK YOU!

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    Hi Somebodyfamous, my dog is a regular size mongrel. And she is very strong. We have spoilt her too much since she was young and did not send her for any training lessons earlier, hopefully we are able to ammend our mistakes with a good trainer!
    Thank you for sharing your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by somebodyfamous View Post
    I was feeling a tad quilty about rehoming our dog til I realised how small everyone else's dogs are!!

Our dog, whom we rehomed, is 70lbs, a Rottweiler/Chow cross mongrel who can kill a cobra in 30 seconds! Quite a different consideration to a Pekingnese, Pomerian or even a Spaniel...... (I imagine by the time your baby is a toddler, he/she would be heavier than the dog!)

kcinhk, not sure how large your dog is, but again that needs to be taken into consideration.

Oh - I forgot another good point about having dogs and babies, when your baby is sitting in high chair and throwing food around, your dog can clean up the mess on the floor!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast