Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Dog and new born baby?worried first time mom

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    Wow
    Hi Carang, do you have all the dogs in the house at all times? Or do you keep them in the garden?

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    on the "about us". the black one is bigger than he appears and at last weigh in was about 52 kg, if i remember correctly...hubby takes them to the vet, so i only get the second hand account

there is a photo of hubby with the rhodesian ridgeback sitting beside him and hubby holding a chihuahua. the ridgeback is huge, but an absolute teddy bear! we love him to death! too bad, we only get him when owners are away!

carang is offline Registered User
    the dogs are in the house 95% of the time. They get walked regularly and get playtimes in the garden, but the rest of the time they are in the house.

so, if we can manage, i really think that one dog shouldn't be a problem!

good luck!

turtle is offline Registered User
    We have a large dog and were also very worried about the arrival of our baby girl. This is a big issue that YOU will have to address, try to remember that this is your problem and not the dog's per say. As long as you take steps to help the dog there will not be a problem, but it will require time and vigilance on your part - which might not be so appealing once the baby arrives and you are tired.

Take a look at www.wishyouwereherehk.com . Mark is an excellent dog trainer and will talk to you over the phone about your specific needs before you agree to have him come to your house. All dog trainers charge around the same price as Mark.

I put a baby gate on the door of the nursery about 5 months before baby was born. My dog definitely did not like it, but it was the beginning of telling him that he is not welcome everywhere in the house. He whined a lot outside the gate and I used to just sit inside and read books or prepare the nursery - eventually he got used to just sitting outside and waiting for me.

My husband brought our baby's nappies and blankets home from the hospital before we checked out of the hospital so that our dog could get used to her smell.

We contacted Dr David Gething, can get you this vet's number if you need it, and he recommended we try a plug-in dog-appeasing pheremone. Not sure how much effect this had, it is hard to tell, but we plugged it in a few days before the baby arrived and then for about two months after she got home. It is supposed to smell like a dog's mother and helps to calm them down.

The main thing once she was home was to stick to the new rules, ie no licking, no sniffing, don't touch and eventually they WILL get it. It will take a while, but with your patience and hard work your son/daughter will grow up as your dog's best friend.

Congratulations on your forthcoming arrival!

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks Turtle for sharing your experience. The "plug-in dog-appeasing pheremone", is it expensive? can one purchase it thru the Vet you have mentioned. Do you mind to pass me Dr. David Gething's contact please.
    Would you know how much the Dog trainer, Mark charge for dog training, as it's not mentioned on the website?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    We have a large dog and were also very worried about the arrival of our baby girl. This is a big issue that YOU will have to address, try to remember that this is your problem and not the dog's per say. As long as you take steps to help the dog there will not be a problem, but it will require time and vigilance on your part - which might not be so appealing once the baby arrives and you are tired.

Take a look at www.wishyouwereherehk.com . Mark is an excellent dog trainer and will talk to you over the phone about your specific needs before you agree to have him come to your house. All dog trainers charge around the same price as Mark.

I put a baby gate on the door of the nursery about 5 months before baby was born. My dog definitely did not like it, but it was the beginning of telling him that he is not welcome everywhere in the house. He whined a lot outside the gate and I used to just sit inside and read books or prepare the nursery - eventually he got used to just sitting outside and waiting for me.

My husband brought our baby's nappies and blankets home from the hospital before we checked out of the hospital so that our dog could get used to her smell.

We contacted Dr David Gething, can get you this vet's number if you need it, and he recommended we try a plug-in dog-appeasing pheremone. Not sure how much effect this had, it is hard to tell, but we plugged it in a few days before the baby arrived and then for about two months after she got home. It is supposed to smell like a dog's mother and helps to calm them down.

The main thing once she was home was to stick to the new rules, ie no licking, no sniffing, don't touch and eventually they WILL get it. It will take a while, but with your patience and hard work your son/daughter will grow up as your dog's best friend.

Congratulations on your forthcoming arrival!

turtle is offline Registered User
    Hi there, Dr Gething's info is at http://www.creaturecomforts.com.hk/vet_services.html , give Trilby his wife a call and she will tell you how much the pheremone thingy is. Sorry, my daughter is nearly two now so I can't remember! Also, can't remember Mark's fees but just call him, he is a really nice guy and will ber very straight with you from the start.

Hope it works out OK.

I think someone else on this chat mentioned that you should give your dog as much love and attention as before when you can. I think that is important. Although I was busy with the baby and tired, I still made sure that I took my dog out every day for a walk for some 'us' time. Was good to get the baby weight off anyway!

A lot of people were talking about the size of your dog but I don't think that is important, it is more his temperemant than anything. Our dog is a very large dog, weighs nearly 30kg (!), but he is gentle as anything with our daughter and has never hurt her, or jumped up on her. He wanted to lick her when she first arrived at home, but we were very strict from the start and did not allow him to do this.

Now they are best friends and she lies curled up with him while she is watching TV.... wish I could post a picture, it is TOO CUTE!

xxx

aprilbaby is offline Registered User
    we were thinking about getting a puppy. we have an 18m old boy. Should I put this off until my LO is a bit older?? Can anyone offer anya advice??

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    We got a four month old puppy when my last child was 15 months old. The next day I found very trying, whenever the puppy came near my daughter she’d run to me to be held. On the second day she would go up to he puppy and try to touch it and then run to me if the dog turned towards her. By the third day she was going up to the dog and bossing it around! The bit I liked best was after a morning of running around with each other they would both collapse and the whole house was quite while they napped.

karishmaviral is offline Registered User
    I have a 3 yr old pug. this was my first ever experience of having a pet. when i saw that he sheds hair all time and all over the place I was worried although we had not even planned for a baby then. but my hubby really really loves him.

When ria came home the dog hardly noticed her. At that time we had clothcovered low sofas and the dog would sit over it all the time. i found this very unhealthy for the baby. But this was only my concern. My hubby did not feel it was as serious as i felt. I tried to keep myself and ria in my room almost all the time. When we got a safety door and restricted the dog behind it while ria would crawl all over the house, the dog would feel very sad.. this was a very trying time for me. As Ria grew older I started allowing them to mingle. She is now almost 20 months old. Just yesterday she was bitten by the dog. The dog also sheds tons of hair. I am really worried about the hair that lies all over the place.
    karishma

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast