Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Dog and new born baby?worried first time mom

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Why are you worried about the hair? I don't think a bit of dog hair ever hurt anyone!

We have a pekignese, who sheds hair horrendously- we just make sure that her hair is regularly cleaned up. It's easier now we have a full time helper who is always cleaning and so the hair is cleaned away almost as fast as it falls!

As for you dog biting, that is something you will have to work on with training. And training both your dog and baby to live with each other.
    Our dogs, for example, only get tetchy with our baby if he goes for their food- so we keep him well away from them when they are eating and that takes away any potentially risk situation.

He is allowed to pet and touch them as he wishes ( we are patiently trying to teaching him how to do this gently..not easy with an 11 month old ) but I know when the dogs have had enough of him, and when I see that I take him or them away.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    We have a 4 week old baby and a 1.5 year old retreiver. the dog has been fantastic with the baby, interested and wants to lick and sniff her, but not jealous or agressive at all. we ensure we still 'greet' the dog as we always did upon entering the house and make sure to pet her as much as possible while holding the baby (so she didn't associate the baby with getting less attention). The dog hair is envitable, but I'm sure there are much worse things to come in contact with a baby!

snuggles is offline Registered User
    Meimei--Would you also scan the article to share with me? My personal email is [email protected] I also just brought home my newborn and we have two dogs in the house that we have raised for over 5 years. My parents and in-laws are asking us to get rid of them!

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    Hello everyone, just wanted to update about the progress of our dog. We hired a wonderful trainer for an intensive training of 4 weeks, an hour everyday. There are big improvement in the attitude of our dog these days towards outsider. still need to see her reaction when my baby is born in December. but all in all, there is hope for us as we are more confident with her manner now. Was watching Dog Whisperer DVD and find that extremely helpful too...

llb
    llb is offline Registered User
    Hello, I now have a 10-month old baby and two labradors (one is now four and the other two-years old). Our dogs are friendly to pretty much everyone but didn't always come when called so we decided to get more training for the dogs. We had them in SPCA basic and intermediate classes, and we hired a private trainer "Mark" who was recommended by our vet, Dr. David Gething for more specific training like not pulling on the lead. Between SPCA and Mark (I can try and find his card if you need to get in touch with him), the dogs did much better. What we also did was before our baby, William, was brought home we took one of the blankets he was wrapped in for the dogs to smell. We also made sure the dogs were taken outside first before we brought the baby in the house so the dogs wouldn't think our little William was a visitor. The other major thing we did in the beginning was to only give attention to our dogs when William was around so they felt included, and they didn't think he was taking away from us paying attention to them (I read this in a dog training book). When William started to sit, we would let the dogs nearby to sniff and "play" but always supervised. Now William is crawling and loves to pet and play with the dogs, and they seem to enjoy his company. I think with training and planning ahead, you can probably make it work. However, I do agree there are many considerations, especially time and if you have help to take care of a new born and a dog. Fortunately for me I have a helper that helps with the dogs so we make it work.

kcinhk is offline Registered User
    It's really reassuring to hear many success story about new born babies with pets at home! Thank you for everyone's advise and sharing of experiences....

fennho is offline Registered User
    i have a maltese at home...wat about hygiene issues? When can we "safely" let the baby touch the dog? My PD back in Spore advised me to keep them separated at least until baby is fully vaccinated at 6mths old...is that right? My dog is sooo pitiful being neglected

reei is offline Registered User
    read this article about dogs and babies..

This article is from The Star Online (http://thestar.com.my)
    URL: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=worldupdates

__________________________________________________ _______________

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast