Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Days off for returning home

Heikeli is offline Registered User

Question Days off for returning home

Hello,
    we hired a helper in juli and are happy with her. And we think we treat her very nice - give her space, don't ask too much and sometimes an extra day off on saturday, because she has no work to do then anyway (or can do it the next week or on friday before)....
    We bought nice furniture (tailor made) an aircooler and everything else, she even gets food allowance but we allow her to take one meal with us.
    When we hired her she said she wants to go home christmas, which was fine for us, because we want to go home (without her) as well.

Now she says she has no money and want to go in April/May. How many holidays do you give then? And is there something in the contract which I maybe oversee that you have to give her x days per year (except sundays and public holidays)?

I said to her that we originally agreed on christmas and that would be convinient , she can get 2 weeks then...she answered, that we can pay her ticket with christmas, then we do not have to do it by the end of contract ( you are supposed to pay a flight and 7 days at the end of the contract after 2 years..). But we think as she only works 4 weeks for us, this is too much. We don't know her that well so far....
    So what would you do?
    How many holidays would you give in April?
    Thanks in advance!
    Heike

rani is offline Administrator

Helpers are entitled to 14 days holiday (7days/year) at the end of the contract. If she wants to go in April/May, which is less than a year that would be approx 5-6 days paid holiday. But you're not obligated to give her a ticket. If its inconvenient for you then its best to say no and just tell her she can go home at the end of her contract. Or you can decide next year when you know her a bit better.

Last edited by rani; 08-14-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thank you.
    But I do have to pay a ticket at the end of the contract for her holiday?

Yes, you do need to give her a ticket home at the end of the contract.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

thanks...so have you heard that you pay a ticket earlier that you don't not have to pay anymore at the end of the contract? That's what she is asking ( a side effect would be, that the ticket with christmas is at least double price!) ....again, it is not so much about the money , more a priciple thing. The just started and ask this with altready having a very good treatment...

Yes, people do give the ticket early, but not after 10 months. If you decide to give her the ticket, just make sure she signs for it. You can always change your mind later and give her another at the end of the contract. Honestly, I wouldn't commit to anything just yet. Make your decision next year after you get to know her.

Tickets are very cheap on Cebu Pacific.

http://www.cebupacificair.com/

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

As you said it is more a "principle". It depends how you would like to handle the situation. The helper of my brother also had similar request when she only work for them less than a year. They have agreed on spliting the ticket ( you have to consider if you don't renew her at the end of the contract you don't need to pay her returing ticket) and 7 days paid holiday and the rest she have to compensate by working on PHs and Sundays.

Bear Lau:

Thanks for the website! It is cheaper than Cathay...
    I find this difficult - I even do not understand how she wanted to go home when we signed the contract and she said she wants to go home with christmas...
    I askd her and she said, that she forgot to ask the previous emplyer to pay her the ticket, when she ended contract with her.
    She worked for them 6 month and they moved to KL...were they supposted to pay the ticket then for christmas???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast