Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increasing milk supply - how to ??

hkmami is offline Registered User

Increasing milk supply - how to ??

Hi,
    Since the birth of my baby i've used half formula and half breastmilk for feeds. Now at 3 months , i'm only able to give 4 oz of breastmilk because she no longer want to feeds off my breasts. But now i learned she has developed a milk allergy to the formula so i'd like to know if there's any way to increase milk supply by pumping only. I was bummed out cause i talked to midwife and told me it would be very difficult to increase milk supply now. Did anyone experience the same or know what i can do??? any advice is much appreciated.

joannek is offline Registered User
    it's possible. but the best stimulation for your breasts is your baby's sucking. her lips pressing on your areola are the best stimulation for your brain & your body. meanwhile, can drink "mother's milk tea" (available at citysuper, mothercare, bumps to babes). follow instructions on the package. it takes about 2 days for you to notice an increase in milk supply.

do you know why your baby is resisting your breasts?

capital is offline Banned
    It will be difficult and you may never get a full supply to be able to give breastmilk only but there are things you can try. You could maybe try a supplemental nursing system so you can BF and give the supplement at the same time. This may work if the reason that the baby won't take the breast is that she is looking for the instant gratification of the bottle, or that there isn't enough milk to satisfy her and she is frustrated. Medela sells one . Motillium is a drug used to increase mik supply. If a woman can adopt and breastfeed who has never even been pregnant, it is possible but it will be hard. You will likely need to pump a lot too. Every feed each side 15-20 minutes with a hospital grade electric pump.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I would try to pump regularly (at least every 4hours) and make sure each breast is emptied each time. If you breastfeed and she finishes, pump the remainder of the milk, if any. Also, there are many different formulas in the market. Being allergic to one does not make her allergic to others. Don't get too stressed.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    yes. agree with sky that pumping regularly should help. but go easy, pump until the flow dwindles down. don't go overboard and hurt your breasts.

hkmami is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your responses. I will definitely try and pump more often and for longer periods and do my best. The reason she won't go on the breast is it takes a while for the let down to occur and when it does -the flow was to strong - she'd choke and pull away. This was frustrating for the both of us.

babi77 is offline Registered User
    I know there is a nursing supplement sold by my doctor in HK, is called Nursing Mother Capsule, and I've taken and showed significant increase in milk supply, especially the let down...please PM me if you like, then I give you the contact of my doctor.

Also I noticed there are 2 soups which help significantly to increase milk supply too, the catfish soup and the dried cuttlefish, peanuts boiled with pork hands soup.

Hope it helps. I've been exclusively breastfeeded by baby boy till 1 year old and then it is he himself decided to wean. He's now 17 months old already.

babi77 is offline Registered User
    Oh I forgot to say that the Nursing Mother Capsule, the link is below:

http://www.koshervitamins.com/shop/s...3&Item_ID=2795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast