Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Maternity Leave Question

Canucker is offline Registered User

Maternity Leave Question

Hi All,

I am just talking with my company's HR department about when I can take my maternity leave.

The government website says: "With the agreement of her employer, a pregnant employee may decide to commence her maternity leave from 2 to 4 weeks before the expected date of confinement."

But is it possible to start later... either one week or even a few days before your "date of confinement?"

I am asking because 10 weeks is such a short time I want to spend more time at home after the baby is born and less time at home ahead of time.

Please let me know what your experiences have been in the past.

Thanks,
    Canucker

MickeyMom is offline Registered User

not sure if this is relevant as i am in china
    but with my first one, i took my maternity leave 1 day before going to hospital for delivery
    then company gave me 90 days paid maternity leave

kellyst is offline Registered User

yes, i think companies will be flexible, if you (and the company) are willing to 'risk' you giving birth early. i've heard cases, especially with c-sections where the mom is working up til the afternoon they gave birth. A lot of times companies will be flexible, so discuss it with HR.

mosmom is offline Registered User

My employer agreed that I begin my maternity leave only 1 week earlier instead of the 2-4 weeks before the est. d-day (I asked for exactly the same reason: 10 weeks are too short!). So, you can ask your employer about it. By law, however, your employer may insist on the 2-4 weeks, so check it out early. Good luck!

Canucker is offline Registered User

Hi All,

I gave the HK government a call and they said I "must" take maternity leave 2-4 weeks before. But like others, 10 weeks is just too short for maternity leave to only have 8 weeks with my child, so I asked my HR department if I could work closer to my due date only to be denied.

Then again I was not surprised my company denied my request.

Anyways, glad a few others of you work for more "flexible" employers who allowed you to stay until closer to your due date.

Another thing I learned... if you have the baby after your date of confinement, you are allowed to add those days on to the end of you maternity leave, although unpaid.

Thanks again everyone!
    Canucker

sky123 is offline Registered User

Who knows the baby maybe early. I was suppose to take maternity two weeks before my due date and baby was three weeks early so I was very lucky and got the full 10 weeks.

Neha is offline Banned

U can find all details about maternity leave by calling

> If you have any enquiries, please contact us at 2717 1771 or 1823.
    >
    > 1823 Citizen’s Easy Link

1/3J is offline Registered User

Apart from the requirements under the Employment Ordinance, another reason for the employer's reluctance is the potential liability in case of any miasdventure. Employer's liability may not be covered by insurance (or employer has to indemnify insurer) if employer does not observe the legal requirements. I understand how important it is to spend more time with the LO especially if you breasfeed. Similarly don't neglect the importance of good rest in preparation for a safe delivery. After the LO comes, you may have days/months/years w/o a good long sleep. All the best.