Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feedback on Tai Po Kindergartens

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Feedback on Tai Po Kindergartens

I'm thinking of sending my son to either Anchors, Hong Lok Yuen International or Norwegian International School. Each have their pros/cons.

I've heard good things regarding Anchors and Hong Lok Yuen but don't know too much about the Norwegian school, although I do feel my sensitive son would do better in it's more family environment and small class sizes.

Are there any parents with children currently attending these schools that can provide any feedback. Thanks.

hkmama1 is offline Registered User
    Hi Connie

Anchors was great when Aidan went there, loving teachers, no pressure, he loved school and was very sad to leave. IT is a popular one for the local parents and as u know pui is starting this sept. The school is so big and bright as well.

Cheaper option to comparing to the others u have mentioned.

shaz

Bizeemama is offline Registered User
    My daughter loved Hon Lok Yuen kindergarten. The teachers are wonderful, the space, playground and classrooms are just so well set up for little ones to learn and be happy.
    My daughter came home with painting and craft every night and had such a wonderul time, I think it was well worth every cent.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    We pulled my son from Anchors and he is starting at the Norweigan in September. The reason we pulled him from Anchors is more about him than the school - he is used to a more western approach to preschool and isn't someone who can sit down and be quiet very easily. If you boy is sensitive it may actually be a good place for him. Everything is carefully scheduled (incluidng three class trips to the bathroom in the 3 hour lesson) and the routine is very closely adhered to. This could make it easier for him. As for the Norweigan - my son is yet to start there so can't really compare yet. The reason we chose the school is that it seems to be a much more western approach, and the class sizes are small meaning the kids will get a degree of individual attention (unlike Anchors when the individual attention my son got was being yelled at at close range to "sit down and be quite" - I have a fairly vocal kid who knows what he wants and like to question everything......)

Quote Originally Posted by fee View Post
    We pulled my son from Anchors and he is starting at the Norweigan in September. The reason we pulled him from Anchors is more about him than the school - he is used to a more western approach to preschool and isn't someone who can sit down and be quiet very easily. If you boy is sensitive it may actually be a good place for him. Everything is carefully scheduled (incluidng three class trips to the bathroom in the 3 hour lesson) and the routine is very closely adhered to. This could make it easier for him. As for the Norweigan - my son is yet to start there so can't really compare yet. The reason we chose the school is that it seems to be a much more western approach, and the class sizes are small meaning the kids will get a degree of individual attention (unlike Anchors when the individual attention my son got was being yelled at at close range to "sit down and be quite" - I have a fairly vocal kid who knows what he wants and like to question everything......)
    fiona, not to mention he was the only white kid in class LOL

bbc mom is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for their comments. I'll apply to all three anyway since I can't make a decision if I haven't got an offer!

Anchors is definitely a plus in terms of cost and there being a direct school bus. My only concern is whether it would affect our chances of getting into ESF primary (given your own experience Sharon and we aren't even "white" British).

But regarding Norwegian/HLY, I like the idea of a through school so we don't have to move until secondary school, although it's a lot of $$$ and I might have to go back to work earlier than expected LOL.

By the way, how was the interview process for each school? My son just turned 2 and is not speaking much so if he doesn't improve in the next few months, I'm worried he'll give a negative impression at the interview.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    At Anchors Liam was just asked a few simple questions in a very informal setting. Not sure if this is the norm. At Norwegian he was taken to another room. Not sure how he was tested but I do know that he kept trying to change the topic! He was applying for K3 though.

anchors interviewed me and not aidan. aidan was too biz playing with the toys.