Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helper leaving for vacation!

spockey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs momo View Post
    I think those 4 weeks will probably ruin my child's life as I will probably shout or hit my v.naughty 19mth old. What to do???? My mother has strictly said no to us going back to Aust!
    Amused and saddened by your remark and...

I agree with your mum. There's no such thing as a hired help as cheap as those from the Philippines/Indonesia/Thailand etc. So YOU WILL DEFINITELY not cope.
    And... I don't know what the law states in HK but it's abuse to shout and hit a 19 month old bub who can't fend for him/herself.

meimei is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Wow, I'm sorry, I find you people too judgmental! Everybody is different, mrs momo is just being honest here, no need to judge her! I understand where she's coming from, does it make us a worse mom?? And I don't believe she'll actually hit her baby. My mom never took care of me when I was a baby. I had a nanny since birth, but I don't doubt that my mom is the best mom in the whole wide world. We love each other dearly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebzz View Post
    Not only is this thread funny...but equally pathetic.

Mrs Momo:

4 wks alone with your child ....
    "probably shout or hit my v.naughty 19mth old"

I hope you're not serious.

lydiaguo is offline Registered User
    well, we know Mrs. Momo was just kidding. Both of you will be fine with your baby. Just relax and enjoy.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I think everyone knows that having a helper is a luxury – just a luxury that we don’t want to be without.

My helper is also on holiday at the moment and I’ve found the only way to cope is to lower my standards. For example the only clothes being ironed are my husband’s work shirts and he’s doing them himself.

If five o’clock has arrived and I’ve still not been shopping I telephone my husband and ask him to bring a take away home. I then make the rice (in the rice cooker) to go with it and it feels like I have contributed to the meal!

If my husband isn’t home for dinner and the weather is nice we go and have a picnic in the park – the kids are happy and I have no washing up. If it is raining we’ll order pizza – the kids are still happy and I still have no washing up.

And remember when everything seems like hell on earth – learn from the experience. I will arrange in future not to return from holiday while my helper is away. I still haven’t managed to get all the washing done and we returned four days ago!

aprilbaby is offline Registered User
    I know these type of threads cause alot of discussion, yes i have a helper and i agree they come in very handy when it comes to the house work etc..But I think they make people very lazy not just around the house but lazy parents.

My mother was a young mother with 4 children, there were 18 months difference from the 1st and 2nd child. She lived in a roof of a house, had no car had no money and very little help from my dad oh and no washing machine and drying facilities. (BTW she was living in London in the 70's). She did a fabulous job in raising us all and when we were all older she would take all four of us abroad and one of us would be allowed to take a friend too....all on her own. Non of this helper coming along business!! I can't say it must have been easy for her, but never to this day has she ever moaned. My sisters are now taking the great example from my mum and umm doing this strange thing called raising your own children and cleaning your own house.....ever heard of it....its called a housewife!!!

Then you get people here in HK they can't even look after a poxy little apartment and a baby for a couple of weeks....unbelieveable.

ELT is offline Registered User
    I was so worried about taking the baby to an overseas trip without a helper. But everything worked out just fine. The baby adjusted without any problem. In fact, I think he enjoyed spending all day with mum and dad. While it was suddenly a lot of work for me and my hubby, we just coped with it, shared the work and enjoyed the opportunity to bond with our baby. Don't underestimate yourself. You will cope just fine.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    i think living in asia spoils us a bit
    don't believe that where everywhere came from, helpers/nannies are readily available (expensive!)
    i don't have a live-in helper. just somebody who comes in to cook and clean the house.
    i work from 9am-3pm and my son goes to school from 8am-4pm. I work and then come back home to take care of my child. This is how my mom did it when i was growing up and i believe I can do it as well especially with the help of modern technology --- rice cooker, washing machine/dryer etc.

To each his own really. All depends on the choice we want to make.

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    your child will cope. you can choose to tell him that nanny is going home to see her kids/family & show photos to him, and tell him that she's coming back. or you can choose to do nothing. different children cope differently, but at that age, your child will probably be very happy to stay with mom all day, so didn't notice much the disappearance of the nanny.

as for your home chores, you probably have to work out a schedule for yourself, like putting the clothes in the washing machine the moment you get up, so you can hand them before you go to work. then go to the market during lunch time or just shop for a week at the weekend. make use of vacuum pot for soup & timer for you rice cooker. make use of the ready packed steam spare-ribs pack & mince fish, etc avialable at parknshop & wellcome.

you will survive the four weeks & be surprised how much you can do by yourself.

then when your helper returns, you will know that she is dispensable & you won't give in as much as you used to and your son will be a lot closer to you. one more thing, i've recently learnt that small children, better behave when you talk to them in a low & gentle voice. when you want them to do sth, instead of asking them to do it (and explaining why), you start doing it yourself & he will follow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast