Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

You are your child's First Teacher by Rahima Baldwin Dancy

joannek is offline Registered User

You are your child's First Teacher by Rahima Baldwin Dancy

I just started reading this book & it 's changing my life already. it explains how a child 0-7 years learn thru their body, learn by doing & imitating.

I used to have to struggle with my 2.5 yo about everything, dressing, changing nappies, sitting on the potty, washing hands, u-name-it. i was using the wrong way, i would ask her to do sth & explain to her why she has to do it. then she would say "no" or ignore me, and i would start getting frustrated & start raising my voice, eventually breaking down crying myself, or threatening her that I have to spank her. since i was reading this book, instead of explaining why she has to do sth, i say, "let's go wash our hands" or "mommy's going to change my clothes" or "bunny's going to use the potty", she would definitely follow suit right away & do what i wanted her to do.

my daughter and I have since become more calm, we enjoy each other company so much more, and she is so much more well-behaved. my husband is also amazed at the transformation.:yeah2

i highly recommend this book to parents, and especially those of you who are like me - first time parent who are clueless & so frustrated so frequently.

p.s. but the book talks much about spirituality. for those of you who don't believe in spirit, body & emotion as the influence of a person, you do have to ignore a lot of the part of the book.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Oh that sounds like our household. My daughter would scream, shrill and yell at the top of her voice and say NO (her favorite word) when we ask her to do something she doesn't want to do. Like you, I have yelled back, threatened her, put her in time out, cried in frustration to no avail! I know I shouldn't yell back but in that moment of frustration, I just couldn't help it.

I will definitely check that book out. Did you buy it in HK or online?

shri is offline Administrator

jane01 is offline Registered User
    With a recommendation like that, I have just purchased the book !

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    As long as we're recommending books...

an old one but a good one "Dr. Spock's baby & childcare". He wrote just one very simple sentence that I still remember, something like "if you gently take your child by the hand and say "let's go do x", most of the time they will come along.

Overall w/ kids, it's always better to get close to them and accompany them to do things, than to issue orders from high up and far way.

Other great kids books are by Faber & Mazlisch.

rani, i was trying to order this book from shopinhk for a friend, but it looks like it's out of stock. if i order now, when is it going to arrive?

rani is offline Administrator
    There were loads of copies last week. Everyone must have read this thread. I expect it will be back in stock in 2-3 weeks.

well, i hope everyone who bought that book can share my happy experience!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast