Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does your diet affect your breastfed baby?

aussiegal is offline Registered User

does your diet affect your breastfed baby?

I am breastfeeding my 9 week old who has been diagnosed with both colic and reflux. I have seen a few paediatricians now and keep getting conflicting advice. One told me to stop dairy and i did so for a month. Baby started to feed better but a second paed. i saw on the weekend said it was because he had adjusted to my milk supply (which was too fast initially) and i could eat dairy no problem. He laughed when i told him i was off dairy like i was stupid. I've had a bowl of cereal each day for just two days and almost immediately he has gone crazy again feeding really badly. Just curious if anyone else is off dairy or went off dairy or any other food whilst breastfeeding.

woodk6 is offline Registered User

dairy

I went off dairy and it had no effect on the reflux. I read some articles that say that the relation between dairy and reflux is an old wives tail. But I have friends say that dairy affects their babies so who knows. I went on and off so many foods to try to sort it out that though the results of that were sometimes all in my head or coincidences. Best cure was time really. Bubs just grew out of it between 3-4 months. Still spits up more than a normal baby though but none of that painful heartburn and vomiting. A friend of mine had great success with craniosacral therapy and there is a post about that somewhere on Geobaby. It sounds absolutely crazy if you read about what it is exactly, but I did contact someone that does it and she said that you can do it yourself at home once you're taught what to do. My friend swears it cured the reflux. Who knows.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    It is definitely possible that your baby is reacting to sometime in your milk especially if you have allergies on either side of the family. Then it is beneficial to avoid the foods you or the baby's father are sensitive to, while your baby is quite young. It is also helpful to breastfeed frequently. If you have a problem with dairy, for instance, proteins from cow's milk present in your own milk can cause problems for your baby. But there's a good chance your baby will not be sensitive to these foods, later in life, if the baby is breastfed. This is because breastfeeding lessens the baby's chance of becoming sensitized to the allergen.

You have already seen an improvement by cutting out dairy would it be difficult for you to continue to stop dairy while your baby is so young? It may be that as the baby grows you can start to reintroduce the diary without any problems.

There is a very good article (written for LLL Leaders rather than mothers) called
    Allergies and the Breastfeeding Family
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep97p75.html

There are other causes to babies being fussy. One is an oversupply in the mother. Sometimes with an oversupply you can see milk around the corners of the baby’s mouth as he feeds. Occasionally, mothers whose babies are receiving a high level of lactose are advised to reduce the amount of dairy products in their diets so that there will be less lactose in their milk. This is not necessary because the amount of lactose in a mother's milk has nothing to do with her diet; her body manufactures it especially for baby.

One solution to this is to only feed on one side at each feed. If you are already doing this you can continue feeding on one side for a set number of hours and then change to the other side. Usually I suggest staying on one side for three hours but if there is still a problem increasing to four hours. (Be careful that the non used side doesn’t get too full.)

More information about this can be found at
    What is the difference between foremilk and hindmilk?
    Is my baby's fussiness caused by the lactose in my milk?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

cemily is offline Registered User
    If your child is allergic to cow's milk (which a lot of children are, incl my son), then definitely it can be a cause of reflux AND colic.

Colic can be caused by the child's skull being "indented" during birth, putting pressure on some parts of the brain. This often happens with c-section births and births that engage any sort of anaesthetics. Craniosacral therapy (CST) can help in this case. There are CST courses available in HK but "professional" CST practitioners are recommended for babies. Read more on www.upledger.com. Note, I have taken level 2 CST and work on my 4 yo son on minor issues and leave the major ones to professional practitioners.

Rgds

e

capital is offline Banned
    It is not common, but for some babies there can be a problem mom taking cow's milk. I would stop again for a few weeks, and the try once more, if it is happening again, it is probably not a coincidence. Just make sure you are getting alternate sources of calcium for your own bone health.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    My first daughter didn't react to anything.

My second daughter tested positive to lactose intolerance, which is apparently quite common in small babies. I switched to soy milk for a few months (uggh that was revolting) and she was better. When I drank cows milk I could hear her little tummy gurgling, poor darling. She outgrew it very quickly - about 3/4 month's'ish from memory. She is 17 months now and quite happily drinks 3 sippy cups of cows milk a day, no problems. There is no history of allergies in our families, so I was quite surprised to have the problem in the first place.

Other friends children have reacted to onions, strawberries, green vegetables, all sorts of funny things !

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    My sister's 2nd child had bad reflux & other digestion issues. She stopped dairy, soy, and wheat while she breastfed & that helped. She was so glad when that year was over :)

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone!

I stopped the dairy after having it for two days and now two days later things are settling down again. The thing i'm finding hardest at the moment is that my son wants to feed a lot to get comfort (mainly from colic i'm told) but that makes things worse because he ends up having milk permanently in his tummy upsetting him and giving him wind. Not to mention the milk that won't go down at all and stays in his throat or chest til he spits it up. Also, because i have a tendency towards an oversupply of milk feeding often overstimulates my breasts and makes it harder for him to drink and for me, my breasts get so full they're painful after just a couple of hours. I can't go too far from home because the only position we can comfortably feed in is lying down! not conducive to breastfeeding in public.

It's funny. I couldn't breastfeed my first baby at all and with my second we worked through a lot of issues and i thought that by 6 weeks things would be fine. In reality at 9 weeks i still spend so much time thinking about breastfeeding, about what i'm doing right or wrong, about how i can get him to feed with me sitting down for once! etc. I thought it was supposed to be easy and come naturally! Not that i want to stop. I kind of like having an excuse to go into the bedroom to chill out and read a book while i'm lying down but still...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast