Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Refuse to hold your hand while walking in public areas

mommy sara is offline Registered User

I use a sort of harness with my son. I hold onto one end and the other goes around his chest. This is good for keeping him close and also holding him upright if he stumbles. He can feel like he walks on his own but it still keeps him close. However, EVERY time we cross the street I make him hold my hand. This seems to be a good compromise for us.

Lolipop is offline Registered User

We insisted as well - we called it the Iron Grip! - we didn't use it for everywhere, just for crossing roads and busy / non pedestrian areas (i.e. unsafe).

It hasn't done her any harm - she is one of the most independent and confident children I know! ... but she does hold our hand when we ask her to now!

:yeah2

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Harness was good for those times when the kids' arm was tired from being held up.

Practice also teaching them to stop on the corners (by playing in playground w/ stop at designated place). When my kids got to be about 3 I would say "OK, you can run to the corner" and they would and wait for me.

Other parent "hack" (technique) in a store where you don't want them touching things, have them keep their hands behind their backs.

shalom is offline Registered User

my 2.5 year old son still runs off whenever we are out. it's a good thing we live in DB, hardly any cars. i have tried insisting that he hold my hand but all he did was threw himself on the floor and refused to get up, even in public places like supermarkets. i am still using a stroller now when we are out because it's the only way i can control him. sometimes i get people giving me funny look, asking me why he is still in a stroller at such an age, if only they knew..........i think at 13 month old they just learnt to walk and they want to explore, which is fine. but if by 16-17 month old they are still like that, you have to start traning them to hold your hand for their own safety. i regretted not doing that at an early age, thus still having problem with my son now.

carang is offline Registered User

ps shalom... hope that the baby is letting you get some sleep!

carang, the baby is perfect. he slept from 930pm till 5am. sometimes i even have to wake him up for feeds because i was afraid he might be hungry. he is totally different from his little brother. i give Babyplus the credit for this. how's the new home?

his big brother, i mean.

carang is offline Registered User

HUGE! love it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12