Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving soon... and I just found out I'm pregnant

rebekah is offline Registered User

Moving soon... and I just found out I'm pregnant

Hi all,

we are moving soon to HK, but we were delayed due to hub's passport/visa being stolen. Just wondering how my chances of delivering at anything OTHER than a public hospital is for the end of april/beginning of may if we don't arrive for 2 more weeks. I really would like to not be in a ward room, as a nurse in the US, I know all too well the risks of infection in such a place... also, was wondering if you HAVE to stay for 3 days? I'm all for checkout in 24 hours, but not sure if that will be possible.

thanks for any advice!

Rebekah

kashismum is offline Registered User

For either system - public or private - you can check yourself out whenever you feel ready. I believe the public system is now 2 days for normal delivery.

Have you tried to book a room by phone? Otherwise, all you can do is try to do so when you arrive. A lot of what you hear seems to sheer panic and it's not as difficult as it is sometimes made out.

Good luck.

I have emailed them, perhaps I will call tomorrow. I know I am quite early to know I am pregnant, as many women don't find out until they are 6-8 weeks, and I am only 5, so I would think if I could book now, it would help.

thanks for reassuring me that it's not impossible to get booked here.

I appreciate it,
    Rebekah

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Kashismum, i wouldn't say that a lot of what you hear is sheer panic - i delivered at the Matilda in june and did not have a confirmed booking til a week before.... I tried the Adventist too and was unable to get a confirmed room.

The difficult time has passed however, apparently June was the busiest month so there shouldn't be any more problems getting confirmed hospital bookings. it's always good to book in as early as you can but I would think that 5 weeks is too early and wouldn't even be allowed. I remember calling obstetricians when i had my first in Australia and they wouldn't see anyone til 6 weeks and wouldn't book a room til 10 or so.

I contacted matilda and they suggested i book asap. I am due at the end of April, but have to see an OB there first. and since I don't know if we will be flying Saturday or Wednesday, will have to book for later that week, at which point I will be about 6 weeks and a few days...I'm just getting info, but glad to hear that they can open up at the last minute as well.
    Thank you for the input!
    Rebekah

Lolipop is offline Registered User

Just to be clear - I think what Ausiegirl is saying is that she was on a waiting list for Matilda throughout her pregnancy and did not know until a week before that she had a room confirmed!

I have heard this happen a few times (although I have no direct experience - I will be giving birth in public - first was in the UK), so if you do plan to go private - I guess the earlier the better!

RebeccaMB is offline Registered User

i'm sorry to have a question here, but I've delivered 3 times in Hk in the last 5 years ('02, '03 and this January07) and have never had any problems "booking" ... as a matter of fact, i didn't have any "contact" with the hospitals (adventist or matilda) until i showed up for delivery. In my experience in HK, it's your OB who does the booking. Now, yes each of my deliveries were c/s but i was never "turned away" ... and even this January the dr changed the booking with a day or two notice. I had no problems at all. You might not get the exact room you want (tho i did), but ...

i know i'm not 'up' on the crunch for maternity care in HK any more, but i wasn't too effected in january (tho i remember reading horror stories about beds in the hallway at matilda --- that was NEVER seen on my deliveries there) ... Yes, the midwives were caring for a lot of patients, but they were still incredible --and worth every cent!! I don't know, there could have been maternity patients sent down to other floors, ??

to the original poster, i would think once you arrive, find yourself an OB who delivers at your "chosen" hospital (or choose an OB your comfortable with and go where s/he delivers) and talk with him/her about booking ... i'm surprised that the hospitals are even entertaining booking directly with the patients ... as far as i was ever aware that was never allowed

best of luck!

Veronika is offline Registered User

I am due 22 of September and still don't have a confirmed booking but am on the waiting list for Matilda and Adventist. When my Doctor wanted to book for me in March both hospitals had just announced to be fully booked. Nevertheless my Doctor keeps telling me that everything should be ok and that there is no reason to worry. So I don't worry. Anyhow, even if you have a confirmed booking they might turn you down if they are full. You can always go to QMH. Although it's not my first choice it won't be the end of the world. Apparently it is due to the fact that it is the year of the golden pig that hospitals are full and also many Mainland Chinese want to give birth in HK. My Doc said she never had this problem before it only started this year and might no longer be a problem at the end of the year of the golden pig which is next februar. Good luck and don't worry!