Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Procedures for the public system

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    I live in Tung Chung, had my checked-up at M.C. Clinic at Tung Chung and refered to PMH later on. Subsiquently at around 7+ months i had all my checked up at PMH and given birth there this Feb 14 by way of C section reason - breech even on due date. I love every bit of it at PMH, the nurses and helpers are very helpful. They really teach you how to breast feed. When i was so tired the nurse took and care for my baby and tell me to sleep so I will have more supply the next feed. My wardmates were so great in cheering each other on to get off bed. Some of us became good friends and we are now calling each other to share about everything of babies! We also became friends with some nurses. Doctor fed me water after he came over to check on my tummy few hours after C.

You can try QMH too if you have any address of yours or work place to comfirm that it is more convenient for you to have check ups. 2 friends used their work address and parents' address to book QMH and were granted. One use former address to give birth at PWH, Shatin as she had her first there. So you can try and why not. But I personaly had no regret in giving birth at PMH as appose to Seventh Day Adventist that will easily charge me 40K> ( initially wants to have baby there & i have no insurance) but PMH, $600, baby and me were out of hospital happily! And all the vaccines and check-ups for baby are free here at MC Clinic. Bravo!
    Last edited by mscheerful; 09-01-2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo error

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot carang and canucker for the advice. The whole thing is a little confusing but I did find out that QM is the approved hospital for DB since the ferry is slightly faster than having to go multiple modes of transportation to PMH....so turns out that is the not a problem. I had my first check-up this week at Tung Chung MCH and have to say I was very impressed - they were all helpful and efficient. But they warned me that beds are filling up fast (especially at QMH). I have my first appointment at Tsun Yak next Saturday so we'll see.

Mscheerful, thanks for the review of PMH! If I can't get a bed at QMH, I will try there.

Canucker, good luck to you...you must be on the home stretch! :)

Canucker,
    How do I register for a bed at Queen Mary? One doctor told me to just get an antenatal appointment at Tsun Yak and that would then qualify me to register for a bed at QMH. So I have my first appointment next Saturday for a check-up at Tsun Yak. Should I be doing anything else at this point? Do I need to be calling QMH seperately?

Thanks for the help!

carang is offline Registered User
    you don't register for a bed at QMH. you need to register at Tsan Yuk, as you have already done. that's it!

i've delivered twice at QMH, once in feb 2005 and most recently in feb 2007.

the nursing staff is great, but very overworked. there's not a lot of knowledge about breastfeeding either, so you may want to try some LLL meetings if this is your first time!

good luck! and remember to pack your earplugs!

Thanks a lot carang. I will take your advice since this is my first!

These boards have been a godsend.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    Since you live in Mui Wo, QMH or other public hospitals in HK island is more convenient than going to PMH.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hi cyberfish88,

I did exactly what carang said... once I had an appointment at Tsan Yuk they said a bed had been "reserved" for me. I am due 2 weeks from today so I will let you know if any "problems" creep up but I am not anticipating any when I show up at the hospital.

Another tip to share with you... because I live in Tung Chung (work in Tai Po) and am always running around the city (trying to slow down starting today), I always keep $500 in my wallet in case I need to hop in a cab and get to the hospital b/c I have gone into labour. My hospital bag is packed at home, but I also have a copy of my birthing plan (birthing "preferences is more like it) with me as well in case I can't bring my bag with me right away. While QMH is a long way away from Tung Chung, I have heard such good things I think these smalls inconviences are worth it for me.

Good luck!
    Canucker

tet
    tet is offline Registered User
    Hi. The process in HK is quite confusing considering that you need to get a referral and make sure that you are pregnant before you can see and OB-GYNE. From where I came from, you can "shop" for your OB and get an appointment right away even if you are not pregnant. But as I am now in HK, I need to follow HK's procedure.

I live in Tung Chung, tried calling QMH for antenatal, faxed my referral to them and was told to call Tsan Yuk. But Tsan Yuk refused as Tung Chung is not "within their jurisdiction" and was told again to call Princess Margaret. I would have wanted QMH as I think I qualify under the high-risk category, having a history of trophoblastic disease. The best trophoblastic doctor is in QMH (Prof. Ngan). Do you have any suggestions if pushing for QMH/Tsan Yuk is possible? Any feedback on PMH regarding gyne-onco care? Because of this, I saw a private doctor last saturday and ended up paying 2K. I have no insurance for pregancy so public it will be for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast