Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dr. Dawkins/first appointment

rebekah is offline Registered User

Dr. Dawkins/first appointment

based on the many good recommendations (and seeming lack of bad experiences) on this board, I made an appointment with Dr. Dawkins for next week. It will be my first visit, and I will be roughly 6 weeks along. can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thank you so much!
    Rebekah

no input? I am just moving to HK and have NO idea what to expect in terms of antenatal care here... please fill me in...

Heidiannerley is offline Registered User

HI Rebekah

Don't worry -you will be in good hands with Dr Dawkins. He is a gentleman from Tasmania.
    You can expect to come in and get your pregnancy confirmed by a urine test and he might also do your blodtest already.
    He will probably inform you of the rutine for pregnancies in Hk. If he does a scan there won't be much to see yet, if you are lucky maybe a little flickering of the heartbeat..
    The next consultation will be around 13weeks, which is much more fun. Then you will be able to listen to your baby's heartbeat with a doptone, and you will get a scan to check for risk of Downs, where you can see your little one swimming around inthere.

Hope you are feeling good!

Warmly
    Heidi

Last edited by rani; 08-31-2007 at 12:37 PM.

thanks Heidi. It's been very hard for me as I know exactly what to expect in the US healthcare system, as I am a nurse and have worked in healthcare here for 10+ years. now to change systems at such a critical time makes me nervous. I appreciate the input.

Rebekah

sky123 is offline Registered User

I suspect that you aren't getting much response cos like me the first appointment with the doctor goes by in such a blurr with you trying to take everything in and you just can't remember it afterwards. I think that goes with everything, time just flies when you are pregnant and then when you have the baby. I can't really remember it all now.

rani is offline Administrator

I had my first appt at around 4-5 weeks. It was uneventful and short. The Dr said HPT are fairly accurate and we didn't do a blood test. Then he recommended a few pregnancy books and that was it. Went back at 7 weeks and that's when we heard baby's heartbeat.

jubee is offline Registered User

Dr Dawkins is great, he is one of the best in the area. He is very professional, knowledgeable and has the latest equipment in his office. We've had a ultrasound scan done for every visit so far. The office does the normal checks like urine, blood work and bp monitoring (usually this is done at around 12 weeks.) He doesn't rush you if you have questions and is really thourough with his scans. That being said, I don't think there is much he will do at a 6 week visit since it is still a bit early. 8 weeks is when he will probably have you back and then again at 12 weeks.

I wish I could stay with him as my ob/gyn but I'm heading back to the States for good this month.

Best of luck!

mscheerful is offline Registered User

Rebekah,

My friend in NYC and me were pregnant on the same month, we exchanged notes and found out that we are doing the almost same thing at the same time! the only different was that I paid cash to by OB-GYN and she has to wait for her insurance to have ultra sound. Nothing to worry as you will be in good hand here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast