Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby sleeps but mum can't...

premama is offline Registered User

Baby sleeps but mum can't...

Hi,

My 10-week old baby slept for 5 1/2 hours for the first time a few days ago....unfortunately, I was waken up before my baby woke up because my breast was too full and uncomfortable.

I'm wondering how other mothers cope with this dilemna....especially when the baby starts to sleep for 6 or more hours. Does the milk supply natually adjust or do mums still have to wake up to pump even if the baby is sleeping?

momofthree is offline Registered User
    Do not pump as you will just prolong the problem.It will settle down fairly quickly once your body adjust the supply to meet the demand.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Congratulations! What's your secret?!
    You can pump just a little excess if it's painful. This will also prevent a difficult latch in the morning if your breasts are too full.
    Your body will adjust the quantity of milk very quickly - just a day or two.
    Oh, and if your periods haven't returned, expect them to do so quite soon if you stop feeding at night.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    With my first LO, she stopped the middle of the night feedings at about 3 months, and I stopped pumping at that time, my breasts were full and there were plenty of leakage but they eventually adjusted and I never felt uncomfortable. My period didn't return until I fully stopped breastfeeding and pumping when she was about 9 months.

With this baby, I am still waking up to feed her and she is 3 months old.