Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone using Medela breastmilk bags? HELP!

mintycat is offline Registered User

Exclamation Anyone using Medela breastmilk bags? HELP!

I have the old medela storage bags, the ones where you twist tie on the top. I follow the instructions and fold at least 3 times and twist it tight at the top, but there is always some milk that leaks out. How do you guys tie it so that there is no leakage? I think its unsanitary that there is leakage. Can I use the milk if there is leakage from the bag? I know they have the new zipper bags now but I have lots of these twist tie bags leftover from my first LO and I don't want to waste them (never pumped enough to actually have to use them last time).

Also, how do you pour the milk into bottles? It says to tear near the hole at the bottom but its so hard to. I used scissors but then realized in the instructions to not use scissors.

Looking forward to some advise. Thanks.

instantnoodle is offline Registered User
    Hello. I use them too.

1. I don't fill beyond the limit (150ml, I think). I press the air out first before folding down 3 times, and following the rest of the steps. Hope that helps.

2. Yeah, instead of snipping at the bottom as suggested by the instructions, I just open the top and pour it out.

Yes I only store 5 oz at a time and fold 3 times as the instruction says, but it still leaks at the top.

Do you freeze them? How do you defrost? It seems to take a long time.

Thaks for your reply.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    5oz sounds a lot. Try reducing the amount - I'd say 3oz maximum. I'm using the new ones and won't put more than 3oz in.

For defrosting, you can put into a mug/bowl of hot,not boiling, water to speed up defrosting.

If milk is leaking out, I don't see why you can't us the milk that has stayed in the bag.

5 oz is the max storage capacity of the bags, I thought it'd be easier to store 5 oz in each bag since its the amount she drinks when she takes a bottle. Maybe I will try reducing and see if the problem persists.

Thanks!

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    I have the same problem with them!