Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Public system - 12 week scan

Soon2Bmum is offline Registered User

Public system - 12 week scan

Just thought I'd post a note about my eexperience of trying to have a 12 week scan if you are going public. I just wanted to let you know that the 12 week scan is not arranged as part of your care and you need to arrange it yourself. I went to Tsan Yuk and registered on the weekend to deliver at QMH and couldn't get in for a scan there so was told to "find a private clinic myself" - no phone numbers or suggestions or how to do this either.

Perhaps I am a complete idiot but it's taken me a lot of phone calls this week to finally get in somewhere next Saturday when I will be almost 14 weeks and almost past the date they like you to have the nucal translecency test.

Anyway, maybe this is helpful to someone else in a similar situation. Appears I was a bit too relaxed about this and probably should have been more proactive early on about arranging this appointment.

GreenArchi is offline Registered User

re: Public system - 12 week scan

Thanks for your info. Is it just a matter of contacting the QMH to arrange a scan in advance (ie. my 12th week will be in another 4 weeks or so)....do you have a phone number I could call the QMH to arrange this?
    Did you go for a tour of the QMH to decide if you are giving birth there/comfortable with the environment etc. I would be interestd in your comments.

So much to find out especially living in another country and having a baby....very exciting though.

Last edited by GreenArchi; 09-16-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Dink is offline Registered User

Hi there - I just wanted to add my experience. I registered at the Tsan Yeuk to deliver at the Queen Mary when I was about 16 weeks (went private up til then and had private 12 week scan/downs syndrome screening). So don't know about the 12 week scan at Tsan Yeuk, but they have given me an appointment for a 20 week structural scan this week though. In parts of the UK, where I am from, you only get a 20 week scan anyway, so its not that different to what I am used to (not great maternity services in the UK!).

Greenarchi - if you are coming to the due Jan/March 09 lunch on Weds let's have a chat, I'm going public from now on and have visited Queen Mary etc. Very comfortable with everything I've experienced of the public system so far.

GreenArchi is offline Registered User

Hi Dink,

I would love to come a long to the lunch, but can you confirm the time (and if lunch is for 17th Sept. (ie. tomorrow)), I can make it, but I will be a bit late, I will be able to be there after 13:45pm or so.

Dink is offline Registered User

GreenArchi - its 12.45 on the roof terrace at IFC tomorrow.... so 13.45 might be a bit too late. I am sure we will do it again soon, but if in the meantime you fancy a coffee or something then feel free to PM me.