Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for travelling with a 10 month old baby

Portia is offline Registered User

Tips for travelling with a 10 month old baby

My husband and I are about to take our 10 month old baby on his first flight (12 hours). Do any of you experienced travellers have any tips on how we can keep our little one amused and comfortable during the flight?

Neha is offline Banned

We just got back this week from Jakarta which is roughly 5 hours flight each way. Our son 9 months + was not very cooperative.
    He was not crying but he just wanted to see everything on the flight. We had to walk with him and show him things. Toys helped but temporarly he would get bored soon.

We flew to Mumbai when he was 7 months old and he was great he slept as it was nap time but not this time. So we thought it would be the same but we were wrong. He is eating but refused to eat on the flight and only had milk.

he was fascinated by the inflight entertainment.

12 hours flight u need to be able to get a lot of his favourite toys to entertain. If possible get an extra seatthat way he can feel free to sit or lie down or try getting the bassinet in front.

Best of luck

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Portia, thanks for starting this thread. I am also interested in learning about other mums' experiences.

At home, we can't get my 11-mth to sit for more than 5 min and in a little more than one month time, we would be taking him to Toronto. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

lengli is offline Registered User

What i did was to buy my bb a new toy. Something that is small and that can easily packed into the handcarry bag. But be careful not to let him see the toy before. Keep it as a surprise and bring it out only when he becomes fussy. Depending on the length of the flight, you might need a couple of toys to keep him entertained. Perhaps one way to save money is to borrow some toys from your neighbours. Of course, biscuits and snacks will also keep the little one munching away.

snagito is offline Registered User

Try your best to take a night flight, it really helps as they do end up sleeping for at least 70 percent of the time. If you must take a day flight then take lots of distractions...

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Try to get a bulkhead seat, buy your LO his own seat and spread out. Ours likes to walk up and down aisles, touch the TV screen, play with his toys.
    But he has been flying since 3 mo, so he is used to flying and long haul routes.

pinkpearl is offline Registered User

Hi,
    my son is 15 mnths now and he has been flying since he was 2 mnth old.he has been on 11 flights already.
    what works best for me is feeding,i start feeding my baby as flight takes off...by the time we are up in the air he sleeps.....for 2-3hrs.oh i make sure he doesnt take a good sleep,the day we are travelling....
    carry some cottonballs cause the earbuds they give are useless and also the snacks he likes.
    As lengli said handy toys work...
    let him stroll under ur vigilance....
    and enjoy ur trip....

Sara is offline Registered User

This one is not for the babies, but for you and the fellow passengers...

I carry some zip-lock bags, to throw the dirty diapers in. The bags seal the smell in nicely. I just don't like it when I enter an airplane washroom and the smell of dirty diapers welcomes me! LOL

FYI, HK airport provides zip-lock bags for all the liquid/gel you're taking on board. Grab some of those before you leave if you forget to pack some with you. Also they allow you to take a large amount of liquid on board if it's for your baby. They do at Heathrow too, but you'll have to "take a sip" from every bottle to show them it's safe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast