Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

which nationality?

RebeccaMB is offline Registered User
    Kashismum,
    how did you get a UK birth cert if your kids weren't born in that country? I know i was at first shocked/anxious about my boys not getting the same birth cert as i have (Canadian/BC birth certificate), but it was the consulate that pointed out that they weren't born in Canada and in fact already had a birth certificate from HK. They did, however, get a Canadian Citizenship Certifiate instead.

I'd be VERY interested to hear from any moms who were able to get a Canadian birth cert for thier kids born outside of Canada. It'll give me amunition on my next Consulate visit :-)

Rebecca

kashismum is offline Registered User
    RebeccaMB,
    I haven't got the UK BCs, but I investigated the possibility. I downloaded the forms from the HK British consulate but am reluctant to pay the $1,500 per child.

It's a service provided by the UK registry - registration of British citizens born overseas. A 'UK style' birth certificate can be purchased at extra cost. This is not required to apply for a UK passport; a HK BC is sufficient.
    Canadian authorities may not offer the same service, if that's what they have told you.

Sara is offline Registered User
    jodymo:

To add to what RebeccaMB has said, yes, the Canadian parent needs to present his ORIGINAL birth certificate or Certificate of Citizenship at the time of application.

RebeccaMB is offline Registered User

Red face

Kashismum,
    i get it ... thanks for your clarification. I was excited for a moment there ;-)

yes, i forgot to add, the Canadian parent must bring ORIGINAL proof of Citizenship (birth cert or citizenship certi / card) ...

i do think Canada is by far, rather strict and "inconvenient" when it comes to applying for and/or renewing passports ... and they ain't cheap neither ... (but then haven't *applied* for tooo many other passports -)

Good post tho ... at least will clarify a lot for dual citizenship (specifically where UK and CDNs are concerned)

jodymo is offline Registered User
    Cheers guys - your collective fountain of knowledge is astounding! really appreciate it.

jodymo is offline Registered User
    Thanks to everyone who answered. How long does it usually take to get the birth certificate completed? I have no idea of the process

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Just to add to this that being a British citizen does not automatically mean your child will be British....unless you were born in Britian. If you were born in Britian and are British citizen then child will be British.
    If you are British and were not born in Britain then your child will only be considered British (for the purposes of a passport) if they were born in Britain, or if their Father has British passport.

carang is offline Registered User
    birth cert in hk takes about 2 hours.... they are very efficient!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast