Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Toddler suddenly doesn't want to walk

bbc mom is offline Registered User

My son has just turned 2yrs, and in the past few days it seems he doesn't want to walk in public. He'll take a few steps then sit down on the ground. If he gets up, he'll sit down again after a few steps.

Initially I thought his shoes might be too tight, but since buying a pair of new shoes, this behaviour has continued.

I don't think he's tired or that there is a physical problem since he is not in any pain, and once he gets home he's always up and about walking/running/climbing non-stop.

Just wondering if it's just a phase he's going through. I'll be checking with the doctor anyway since we're going for a jab, but not sure what the doctor can diagnose. Has anyone else been through this? Thanks.

joannek is offline Registered User

have you check for in-grown nails? cos once in shoes & socks, the nail will press against the nail-bed, making in-grown nails pretty painful.

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Thanks. Doctor has checked his legs, hips and nails and all seems fine, so we think it's just a phase or he's being lazy and prefers to be carried/put in the stroller.

Still seems strange though as he used to hate the stroller and couldn't wait to be taken out to stretch his legs.

Last edited by bbc mom; 09-07-2007 at 11:26 AM.

mommy sara is offline Registered User

Might be trying to show his independence. "I can choose when I want to walk" or similar. I try to offer my son choices so he is more willing to do what I want. Try asking "would you like to walk or skip?" or "should we go this direction or that?" something like that.

manya_feb is offline Registered User

hi, i know someone who faced this problem. But that was like,(twins) they found calcium deficiency and it was starting of ricketts .....so they recovered very fast.

I suggest you to check it with the doc. before its too late.

manya

Hagrid is offline Registered User

If he's up and about at home, I guess it's just a phase. My son (3 years old) is perfectly active at home but quite often told me 'I can't walk' when we went out and asked me to carry him. Try taking him to the playground and you could hardly catch a sight of him :yeah2