Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best way to freeze baby food on plane?

kellyst is offline Registered User

snagito, when you check the entire cooler bag, was it INSIDE another luggage? or just separately as a separate luggage, does it make a difference you think? hmm, now i have to be creative on layover time...

now i'm thinking, maybe i can ship over the frozen food in advance.. haha :p

Lisa1 is offline Registered User

I have taken frozen baby food with me on trips many times. Just put them in ice cube sizes (depending on age of baby and appetite!) or in a variety of small little plastic boxes and wrap them in the frozen ice packs and put into a cool bag. As soon as you get to your destination transfer to hotel freezer. It usually works to get you through at least 4 days ish... word of warning though, aeroplanes do not have microwaves so defrosting them takes AGES..!!! I have had many a screaming baby whilst I have still been waiting for the food to get to at least warm!!!!

Lisa1 is offline Registered User

by the way, I also dont tend to take too much meat - usually only take meat for that day but for subsequent days I would only take frozen veggy food.... and take a can of tuna or something to mix in.

Lisa1, just to clarify, do you keep the cooler with you on board? or check it in?

kashismum is offline Registered User

I have a Fridge-to-go and, as far as I can tell, it may be a bit colder than a regular coolbag, but it won't keep your food properly frozen. So, for that reason, I think Lisa1's advice about not taking meat is spot on.

If the veggies defost a little and you refreeze them at your destination, it's not a big problem but you can't do that with meat.

As an aside, I'm travelling with pouches of pureed organic food I bought in 360. They are pure, with no artificial ingredients and will save a lot of hassle, in my opinion.

Portia is offline Registered User

I think I'll actually do what Snagito suggested and pack the entire Fridge to Go (which is not very big) into a suitcase and then check it into the hold. When I've previously carried frozen food back to HK in my suitcase, it has stayed frozen even without a cooler bag, although it was a shorter flight. So I'm hopeful that it will be okay with the addition of the cooler bag and putting it in the hold. But just in case, I also won't bring much meat. If there is any sign of thawing of the meat when I get there, I'll throw it out just to be on the safe side. Will let you know how it works out.

snagito is offline Registered User

It was inside a bigger suitcase. Another thing that helps is to pack the cooler bag really tight as possible and then cover the top with a kitchen duster or something so there is no space left inside, works very well I found, the smaller containers/ice packs/bags etc keep each other cool too if you see what I mean. I found that meat dishes kept well (bolognaise sauce etc) but fish I was worried about as that tends to spoil quickly - took a few cans of tuna/sardines etc as back up and then mixed into the rice and pasta dishes. All the best!

great.. getting so much info from this thread. but more questions. did you guys cook full meals and freeze (i mean WITH the rice/pasta)? or did you just freeze the vege and the meat and get fresh rice/pasta at the destination?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast