Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best way to freeze baby food on plane?

kellyst is offline Registered User

Best way to freeze baby food on plane?

going on Air France next week to Paris/Florence for a 5 day trip and would like to bring frozen baby food with me for the whole period. i've read here and also called Air France to see if they will freeze baby food for me. they say 'yes', but i'd like to ask people who has done it before, what's the best storage boxes to use? i don't really know in what 'shape' are the plane freezer compartments. i could
    1, pack them in zip lock packets... FLAT
    2, or ice cubes and then in zip lock packets.
    3, Or could be in the circular disposable small boxes from Glad as well.

any ideas which shape to pack the frozen food so it's the most plane freezer friendly? since i need them to freeze ice packs for me as well, i'm a bit concerned about how much they can actually freeze for me. in going for 5 days.. i'm bringing at least 10 meals, is that possible?

Portia is offline Registered User

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm also thinking about taking frozen food for our little one when we go on our trip. I've bought a little portable cooler (see http://www.fridge-to-go.com/products...f8e30462be727b) for getting to and from the airport and just in case it doesn't all fit in the plane's freezer. It doesn't need separate ice packs as the ice packs are built into the cooler and you just put the entire cooler in the freezer first. It's supposed to keep food cold for up to 12 hours.

Neha is offline Banned

I think it is better to buy a small cooler as airlines generally are not allowed to put outside stuff in their cooler. We have had this expereince before ( Cathay) . We had some stuff that we were carrying in small cooler( 25 x 15 cm) and asked them to store it but they refused.

You have asked Air France office here but things can change very easily in the aircraft as the FA can tellu that they are not allowed. If Air France is telling u that u are allowed I would ask them to give u in writing and also inform u the size to make sure that u dont have a problem in the aircraft

Thanks for the tip. Have heard about Fridge-to-Go, would be interested in how it works out for you. but as our flight is quite long, it's 13hr to Paris + 3 hr lay over + 1 hr to Florence (i'm cringing even when i typed this).

Yeah i think that would be easier if i'm on shorter flights.. i think really from getting from home to destination, it's probably 20 hrs minimum.. ewck..

do let us know how the Fridge-To-Go works out!

Neha, hmm.. that's a good idea. i'm very concerned that they would still refuse on board, then i'd be sooo very very stuck with meals of food going bad.. hmm hmm what to do.

the small cooler wouldn't work :( as i have such a long flight.

also not to mention getting the frozen cooler past security.. geez.. all the headaches.. i'm getting so nervous about it now, so much could go wrong...

Neha is offline Banned

If u have small cooler u can get ice from the FA and use that to extend the time. I know it is tough because it will be like 20 hours till u reach your final destination

Security in HK I think will be a lot easier to explain but in Paris can be a different story all together

snagito is offline Registered User

The hold of the plane is actually the coldest place, much colder than the cabin itself obviously - so what I did when we flew London to HK was to check the entire cooler bag in (icepacks and all). I packed each individual meal in ziplock bags as that took up less space. When we got to HK (15 hours after checking in the bag) the food was still frozen solid and went straight into the freezer here so no problems. Hope this helps.

Neha is offline Banned

actually snagito idea is a good one. It will work and u dont have to worry about explaining to security people etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast