Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insect bites in Discovery bay Help!

adahc is offline Registered User

Insect bites in Discovery bay Help!

Help!
    We just moved to Discovery Bay for less than a week. I notice that I have several of this itchy insect bites all over my leg. They are really itchy and become red and a bit hard afterwards. I am 22 weeks pregnant and quite concern about using any medication that might harm my baby. But at the same time the itchyness is pretty strong and I can not help but to scratch away all day long. I went to buy Mopiko Ointment from Watson today which I can not resist applying it on my spots immediately. Now I'm getting a bit worried now if it will ham the baby. I read the label and it doesn't say anything about pregnant woman should not use or anything like that.
    Do yoou have any experience with this cream during your pregnancy? What do you use to stop this horrible itch?

Lolipop is offline Registered User

I am 23 weeks pregnant.

Been using normal insect bite cream for the itch and swelling.

Don't worry, if there is no warning on the box it means it is fine to use!

...It sounds as though you have a lot of bites! Are you sure it is not a rash? ... if it is, I would see the Dr immediately!

xx

Ali71 is offline Banned

Hi, having suffered terribly from insect bites, mainly mossies, and tried everything under the sun, the thing that really really works is tape. Just tape over the bite with Sellotape or duct tape. Apparently the tape attracts white blood cells which stop the itching and histamine release. Obviously it stops you scratching too. It sounds bizarre but try it and there are no side effects. If you see someone walking round Central covered in tape - it's me. Good luck and let me know.

What cream do you use if I may ask? No it's not rash. It's definitely a result of insect bite, I had it before a few months ago but I wasn't pregnant then and happily used all sorts of cream. Mind you someone just told me that camphor which gets into the placenta nd can have somee kind of effect on baby. But then I'm not sure.
    I just want to know who use what so I can buy one myself. It's killing me at the moment.

Interesting! I will try the tape then. Seems safe enough.

clarify

Just to clarify my broken english above, Mopiko Ointment contain camphor,Camphor crosses the placenta and has been implicated in fetal and neonatal death. It has been used to induce abortions but then it doesn't say on the label that not suitable during pregnancy. So I just wonder if anyone has any idea if the suitable cream to use or if its safe to use this cream a all.

spockey is offline Registered User

Just my two cents worth... I had terrible bites when we first moved to HK. Then someone recommended that I eat an orange a day to counter it and to use Satsuma body butter from Body Shop. Best advice I've had coz I've not had a single bite since. I still eat an orange a day and use Satsuma body wash and butter.

Thank you, I'll get it today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast