Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

can't pump much...

premama is offline Registered User

can't pump much...

Hello,

I have an 11 week old baby. I am breastfeeding her but pump once/twice a day so that my husband can feed her the expressed milk in the morning and/or my helper can feed her when I need to go out.

Previously, I was able to pump around 3-4oz in one go (taking about 10-15 minutes) but recently I've had great difficulties pumping and it takes me about 30-40 minutes to pump 2 oz. I usually pump after I feed her.

I've read on other threads that the amount I can pump is NOT an indication of how much milk I'm producing (which is a relief) but is there any particualr reason for this change in the amount of milk I can pump? How can I increase the milk which I can pump (I was thinking of pumping more so that I can store them in the freezer when I go back to work).

Thanks!

Jojo is offline Registered User
    hi, my baby is almost four months old and I also found that some days I pumped a lot of milk and some days considerably less. I find that on days when i am particularly tired and did not get to nap, my milk production would be lower. To ensure you have a good supply I find it useful to pump twice a day, once in the morning, immediately after your first feed and because I give my baby expressed milk for the 10,30-11pm feed, I empty my breasts at around 10pm. The thing about the milk supply is that it is regulated by how much your baby feeds and of course the more she feeds the more your breasts produce so essentially this pumping is to signal to your breasts that they need to produce more. Also, feeding her from the breast is not the same as expressing as babies are far more efficient than the pump so if you are expressing more and more to feed the baby, you will find that your milk will diminish. I'm afraid breastfeeding requires a certain amount of commitment and going out too often does interfere with your milk supply. I am paranoid about drying up or producing less so even if I have the helper give my baby a bottle while I am out, I do make sure I get home not long after so that I can express, as if I had given the feed myself. If you skip a feed and not express, it's the same as telling your breasts they can produce less, if you see what I mean. In short,

1. Express twice a day
    2. Try as far as you can to express when you have skipped a feed, unless you have got home too late and it would mean that you may not have enough milk for the next feed.

Good luck!

tutor1 is offline Registered User

pumping

Hi Preamma

I too have had a decrease in my milk supply. Everything Jojo says I already know, as I suspect you do and implement. The problem is I am pumping 3+ times a day for the same time you are. I do not feed her the milk unless she's finished on the breasts, I've pumped, and know that she hasn't eaten enough.

It's incredibly frustrating right now. Everything they say to do to increase, I'm doing and don't know what else I can do. She's flailing about by afternoon because basically, there's nothing there and as my milk supply (stored) is desperately diminishing, I'm worried. I have emailed La Leche League and await their advice. All I can think is do the hormones drop off suddenly at some point (my daughter is 17 wks). Having said that, if I am supposed to produce everything she needs, why aren't I?

LAST THOUGHT: Sometimes I feel as though one of my breasts has milk in it but nothing is coming out (for her or the pump). Is it possible to have a blocked duct but have no pain?

Jojo is offline Registered User
    Tutor 1 and Premama,

It could be blocked ducts? Do you give the knobbly bits of your breasts a good massage when you are expressing?

I had blocked ducts right at the beginning and two sessions with Mrs. Chee, the very best lactation consultant sorted me out. She has also a wealth of info and experience to share and solutions to every problem you throw at her. She also gives a good massage (though a bit on the painful side initially) of the breasts and gets those ducts unplugged promptly. Her contact is 94176366.

My daughter has recently started to take a iot more milk and I too was concerned that she was not going to be getting enough. She suddenly went from feeding fine off one boob per feed to almost draining both in some of the feeds. I try to ensure that she has a really big bottle of expressed milk at the 11pm feed (made up of the milk expressed from two sessions) so that what she may not be getting in the day she more than makes up for at night. Seems to be ok so far.

I really want to exclusively breastfeed her for at least 6 months so I too want to keep the milk flowing.

Btw, in answer to your question - it is absolutely poss. to be blocked and not feel discomfort as I think we are pass those early days of pain from the milk coming in but not being able to get out.

momofthree is offline Registered User
    From my experience the best way to increase your supply is to feed your baby directly from the breast more often.Also I found if I did not have a rest or at least put my feet up during the day,my supply was definately less in the early evenings.