Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Right Brain Teaching In RightMind Kindergarten

universe is offline Registered User

Right Brain Teaching In RightMind Kindergarten

Hello there,

I would like to seek some advice for those parents sending their kids to this kinder, I have been thinking this kinder for my son in 2008 but I live in Kowloon so I do not want to make wrong choice for my kid.

Please share your view.

Regards,
    Universe

run4fun is offline Registered User
    May be I called on the wrong day, but on the day I called, all I could hear from the person who answered the phone was how many words the children will learn..... and the flash cards, the 4000 Chinese characters, blah...blah... They focus heavily on academic results, such as how many words they recognize, but do they pay attention to the overall development of the children?

I feel like they got the sole agent for a few good products / programs, and they start a school based on that.

See, most school follow some kind of systems. For example, many school in the US are using spiral curriculum. You teach the little ones a basic concept this year, and you go into more detail the next year, and more the year after. And you slowly build up a solid inter-linking knowledge that way. Everything student learn for the years down the road are well thought-through and are well-planned by the experts. Not that I am against a new school. Even traditional school have systems that are proven and tested by time. But the owners seem to be quite new in the education industry and they don't seem to have the kind of philosophy or pedagogy behind them to back themselves up. That's what worries me.
    Last edited by run4fun; 09-10-2007 at 03:01 AM.

run4fun is offline Registered User
    By the way, the same couple who started Rightmind Kinder started kinder U. I don't have as big a problem for kinder U. I do think Kinder U is quite commercialized, but after all, Kinder U is only a learning center. They don't hold as big a responsibility / liability on educating children. But if we are talking about kindergarten, that's a different story. They are the major influence of the children - at least 3 hours a day for 5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by run4fun View Post
    May be I called on the wrong day, but on the day I called, all I could hear from the person who answered the phone was how many words the children will learn..... and the flash cards, the 4000 Chinese characters, blah...blah... They focus heavily on academic results, such as how many words they recognize, but do they pay attention to the overall development of the children?

I feel like they got the sole agent for a few good products / programs, and they start a school based on that.

See, most school follow some kind of systems. For example, many school in the US are using spiral curriculum. You teach the little ones a basic concept this year, and you go into more detail the next year, and more the year after. And you slowly build up a solid inter-linking knowledge that way. Everything student learn for the years down the road are well thought-through and are well-planned by the experts. Not that I am against a new school. Even traditional school have systems that are proven and tested by time. But the owners seem to be quite new in the education industry and they don't seem to have the kind of philosophy or pedagogy behind them to back themselves up. That's what worries me.

universe is offline Registered User
    Yes you are right I should think more in depth before acting it's related to his goldern learning phrase.

Best Regards,
    Universe