Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fever - When to go to the hospital?

rani is offline Administrator
    Spockey, hope your little man is feeling better today. Did you end up going to the A&E?

rach is offline Registered User
    Spockey
    we had the same thing with our 10 month old a few weeks ago - i took him to the doc as i had never seen him so quiet (and the throwing up was scary) but it was really just a case of panadol and fluids and he got better in a few days - i hope was the same for you. always makes you feel better to get medical opinion (especially for first time mums!)

karishmaviral is offline Registered User
    When my lo was 9 months old we had gone to Zuhai for a holiday. The very night we reached there she got fever... The doctor on call prescribed baby medicine. The next morning she was beter but as the day passed she developed fever again and the temperature reached 40 degrees. We were asked to go to the local hospital immediately. There the non english speaking doctor managed to convey that she had developed infection in her blood after a test. We were damn scared. We were advised to stay in China that night and not to travel... the next morning we rushed to hong kong.... All this while her fever was under cntrol due to the medicines... but by afternoon she started developing fever again. We rushed to the hospital...

She was admitted immediately as there were some rashes appearing as well.. She was kept under observation and after the blood tests the doctors told us that she had developed Kavasaki disease.

We had never heard of this. But if not treated on time....within 5 days of fever... her heart could have been affected. There are many symptoms of kavasaki but not all develop so many a times family doctors cannot diognize it on time.

Its been almost a year now. But she still has to go for regular heart check up. Thank God all times the reports are normal.

spockey is offline Registered User

Unhappy

Hi ladies.
    We waited it out til morning then took him to Tsuen Wan Adventist.
    He has been hospitalised for today.
    I think the doctor has recommended that he stay for two but bub is so uncomfortable there that I am insisting that he goes home tomorrow. Otherwise I am insisting he goes to another.

I would like to know though what your private hospital experience has been. I am quite disappointed with Tsuen Wan Adventist because of the following reasons:

• afternoon shift nurse seemed quite amatuerish when dealing with bub e.g. couldn't get drip needle in properly... took three tries! You can only imagine my screaming son. They didn't even want us in the room to observe or comfort him but I stood my ground.
    • 5 babies in a room - we would never have had this in a private ward in Sydney... maybe at most 2.
    • Junior doctor was sent to examine him and take his blood... again took several tries!

Is this the norm in HK private hospitals? Or should I have simply headed to the a private hospital on the island? Coz to be honest, it felt like I was paying private fees for private service.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- I have never had to take my son to hospital yet (thank g_d) but have myself have been admitted to the Matilda, Adventist (HK Island) and Canossa and my experiences at all of them don't fit with your experiences in Tsuen Wan/. I have never had anything but fantastic medical service and general patient care at each hospital.

Although once at the HK Adventist I also had a nurse that couldn't get a drip into my arm....and another nurse had to come and do it...your poor little boy, it must have been agony.
    However HK in general is sufferring from a nurse shortage so a lot of hospitals are hiring inexperienced nurses out of desperation.

For adults the number of patients in a room depends on what class you pay for- we had friends whose baby has been admitted to the Adventist, HK several times, and as our insurance only covers semi private their baby had to share a room with one other baby. However the last time they were there they made a fuss and insisted baby had its own room, which they got given.

My private hospital experiences in HK have been nothing but fantastic.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Thanks Beckyboo. I know now that we will not be returning to Tsuen Wan Adventist. I am insisting that my son gets discharged today or transferred to another hospital.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hope he's feeling better! Next time I would definetly recomend trying a private hospital on the Island.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12