Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fever - When to go to the hospital?

spockey is offline Registered User

Fever - When to go to the hospital?

My little man has had a temperature between 37.5 and 39.5 degrees C dependent on when he has taken baby panadol.
    I'm not one to usually panic. Especially since he is still happy. Only thing abnormal is his lack of appetite.

I'm wondering when I should start panicking and head to the Emergency Room of a hospital?

jools is offline Registered User
    I would take him to see your doctor if he has had this temperature for a little while and is also off his food. It might be just a virus, as you say he still semms happy, but it's better to get these things checked. If it tips 40 degrees and won't come down with panadol and sponging down with tepid water-then it's time to take action.

carang is offline Registered User
    i'd follow jools advice.
    has he had a cold recently? if so, he may have an ear infection. my son gets them EVERY time he even gets a runny nose. so at first sign of a fever, i'm off to the dr to get ear drops for his inevitable ear infection....

good luck!

rani is offline Administrator
    Spockey,

I would continue giving him pandaol every 4-6 hrs or so to keep the temp down. If the temp reaches 40 as jools says take him to the nearest hospital. The private hospitals operate 24 hrs outpatient clinics. Not sure which is closest to you.

St Teresa's on Prince Edward Rd
    http://www.sth.org.hk/e/section4.html

Baptist Hospital on Waterloo Rd
    http://www.hkbh.org.hk/en/311_out_patient.htm

Other Hospitals
    http://www.dh.gov.hk/english/main/ma...i/list_ph.html

spockey is offline Registered User

Exclamation

Thanks Ladies!

I discovered the efficiency of HK's public health system today... which for mums not in the know is important.

Here it is:

When baby is ill with high temperature, ring the hospital first, inform the receptionist what's going on and she will transfer your call to a nurse. The nurse will ask you gazillion questions and by the end of it, you would be able to ascertain if you should still proceed to the A&E.

This was invaluable for me today as bub started throwing up along with the fever and we (hubby and I) couldn't agree on whether to go to the hospital or stay.

I also have a list of all public and private hospitals in HK and Macau with numbers and information on whether A&E is available.

If you need this info sheet, please PM me and I'll send it to you.

carang is offline Registered User
    good to know!

hope bubs is feeling better soon!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Do all private hospitals run 24 hr clinics? Was just wondering what to do if needed to take baby to a hospital....if we headed for a private hospital, would we have to call a pedietrician to meet us there, or do they have them on call?

rani is offline Administrator
    I don't think all the private hospitals run 24 clinics. Will check and we'll list them in the Directory for future.

We had an emergency when D was around 8 weeks. He had Bronchiolitis and in the middle night he started wheezing and gasping for air. We rushed him to Canossa's out patient clinic. There is a jr Dr there in the evenings and he stabilized D. First thing in the morning, the hospital called our Pediatrician, and she came to see him. He was fine by then and she discharged him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast