Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Respect to all HK Mums and Dads

lantau35 is offline Registered User

Respect to all HK Mums and Dads

Our baby is due in February (touch wood) so naturally enough we have been thinking more about what it is going to be like living with a little one in HK. We had a chance to get a taster when we joined some friends and their baby and 2 year old in Central the other day...and I have to say HK is hard work with a young family!

The main thing that dawned on us was...there is just no-where public to actually just sit and take a break unless you want to try and squeeze into a cafe (which will be packed for most of the day in Central). There is really no public space at all - hardly any benches where you can stop to relax or reorganise all the bits and pieces. Just street after street of packed pavements or closely guarded malls with no seats (complete with officious staff and walkie talkies). It sounds dumb I know, but I never really noticed it until now! When one does finally find a rare bench or seat it will invariably be taken by a row of old folk with their shoes off (we came by hours later and the same guys and gals were still there)...

I saw the city in a new light and I have to give serious respect to all Mums and Dads battling their way through Central! I take it that serious planning is required just to get from place to place? And has anyone ever found that rare creature - a public seat or bench in IFC?!

Zen
    Zen is offline Registered User

You have to go to the top floor. There's an open park-like area where you can sit and no walkie-talkie man will come by, to chase you away. :) The only teeny weeny plus point about IFC is that even the men's toilets have baby changing areas!

Neha is offline Banned

It is true that is why we always plan our baby's outing We know exactly why were going with him to central, Causweay bay or TST.
    Ocean terminal has benches where u can sit but nothing Central. We generally go out later in the afternoon with our son so u get places like MIX not that busy

aussie mum is offline Registered User

it is funny the things you start to take notice of - foothpaths (or lack of), lots of stairs!! lack of benches and resting places....but as the others have said it is something you get used to quite quickly.....and thus plan your day accordingly. Hong Kong is surprisingly "child friendly" in some places but not for the most part. I would hate to be trying to get around in a wheel chair!!!