Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any self employed mums out there returned to work after long break?

littleone is offline Registered User

Any self employed mums out there returned to work after long break?

Hi

Just wondering if there are any mothers out there that have returned to work after a long break or who have started your own business? Would love to ask you some questions and advice. Thanks.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I've been self employed for five years and have had two babies in that time. Didn't really get time off though. Once you start a business taking a break to have kids doesn't really work... Feel free to ask me any questions however.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    I have been self-employed before I was pregnant with our first child a year ago. But I did not take any long breaks during or after pregnancy. I found that having my own company makes it hard to take time off work for an extended period of time. Working from home doesn't quite work for me so I began going back to the office around 6 weeks after the baby's born.

rani is offline Administrator
    I launched GeoBaby when D was only 6-months. It was hard and it's still hard juggling work and family. With your own biz the work never ends. There's so much to do and you can normally find me at my computer in the evenings and weekends too.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    I used to own my own company which i decided to close to focus on growing my family. Personally I couldn't handle both. I agree with the above posts, it's very tough to manage both your business and baby, it's kind of like having 2 babies...I'm at a stage where i would like to start/do something again but have not been able to find that something that can offer me a good balance, not sure it exists!

I recently wrote a blog entry on this topic, if you're interested to read you can do so here: http://milkmonsterlaughs.blogspot.co...-business.html

Good Luck!!

Way to go Rani!!
    Last edited by MilkMonster; 09-10-2007 at 11:49 PM.

karishmaviral is offline Registered User
    i was working before i had ria. ria is now 19 months and just this month , out of frustration, have started going to my husband's office for half a day. I wanted to start a business. But I knew that it will leave no time for family. so i was looking for a partner but it did not work out. finally i am trying to concentrate on my husband's business. atleast something!
    karishma

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    I too think that having a partner with similar needs as you would be ideal. Like another mom who also wants to have time for family. When considering doing something on my own again i have lots of thinking to do not as easy as before!! The hardest thing about having your own company is not having the flexibility to take "time off" for a family vacation. If you have a normal job you are actually on holiday when you're off work but if you run your own company the work always goes with you. You're never really off work.

Linda&Hanley is offline Registered User
    I quitted my full-time job when I was about 7 months pregnant, then worked part-time after my first child turned one, took up 2-year part-time studies when my second child was about 6 months old, and started my own business (but still treating it as a part-time job) when my second child started school. To me, working (or studying) part-time is a way out to maintain a balance between work and family, especially at this stage when my children are still young.

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast