Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best pump for going back to work

premama is offline Registered User

Best pump for going back to work

Hello,

I'll be going back to full-time work in about a month's time and was wondering which pump to get that's easy to use but not too expensive (like the pump in style).

Also, what is the difference between the pumps? Are the expensive ones more efficient in terms of the time you spend pumping? I'm currently using the manual medela pump which takes me about 30 mins to pump 3oz.

Any comments appreciated

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I used the Medela Swing but that is a single pump (very good actually, fairly quiet and light) and it took about 10-15 minutes for each side. So if you don't have time you may want to get the pump-in-style (two suction cups) and cut the time in half. It would also avoid leaking from the non-pumping side.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I have the Ameda Lactoline which is a bit cheaper than the pump in style but still very good. It's the Asian name of the Ameda Purely Yours. You can purchase from Homecare Medical which has a shop in Causeway Bay. I think I paid about $1300.
    http://www.homecare-medical.com/php/...php?locat_id=3
    Mothercare also have a double pump which is supposed to be good which is also cheaper than the pump in style.

Give some thought to how you are going to use your pump. Are you going to leave your pump at work? If so, weight of pump will not be an issue and one of the hospital grade rented ones will be best. If you're going to carry it home each day then will want something more lightweight. Double pumps will definitely save time because not only can you do two breasts at once, but many women find that stimulating both breasts at the same time yields more milk than doing both separately. And the faster you pump your milk, the faster you can get your work finished and get home to your baby!

It also depends on how much time you are going to be away from your baby. Do you live close enough to home to visit at lunchtime or have your baby visit you during a break? Then the top-grade pumps will be less necessary.

In the end I didn't use my double electric pump very much because I am always on the move in my job and often have had to pump in toilets, and didn't like the motor noise drawing attention to myself, plus my breaks are always rushed and it took a minute to set up the pumps. I ended up going to hand-expression, which is by far the cheapest method and all I had to carry was a plastic tub in my handbag!

But I am only working part-time and only after my babies have been six months old, so I have not been too worried about getting a high milk yield; it's more a matter of relieving discomfort. Nevertheless, it's worth remembering that human milk can be stored for up to 8 hours at room temperature (must be a bit less in HK summer), so if you are going to be home within a few hours then you don't need to bother with fridges and ice packs and cooler bags - just keep in your bag and put in the fridge when you get home!

SSL
    SSL is offline Registered User
    Premama,

I have a double pump medela mini electirc plus that I am trying to get rid of, I have sent you a private message. Please check.

nikki is offline Registered User
    I am using Medela Swing - seems to be ok so far

twlewis is offline Registered User

Help - URGENT - Medela connector for breastshield

Dear all-

I am DESPARATE to get a connector for a Medela Mini Electric Breastpump. My wife really needs to pump so that we can help her out with late night feeds, but the store that sent her the new breastshields (we couldn't find anywhere in HK where larger sizes were sold) DIDN'T INCLUDE THE CONNECTOR !!! I found a pic of what we are looking for from the Medela US website - see below.

https://www.medela.com/parts_order/p...ages/87071.jpg

I will purchase on the spot. I believe that Mini Electric and Mini Electric Plus as well as Manual will do the trick - not sure. Will buy entire breast pump if absolute necessary. Please help and contact me directly at [email protected]

Thanks-
    Trevor
    Last edited by twlewis; 11-05-2007 at 10:39 PM.

isamummy is offline Registered User
    -----------------
    DEAR TREVOR
    -----------------
    You can purchase a Medela connector at CELKI, which has stores in Central, TST and CWB. I recall I purchased mine for ... under HKD 50 (?) , sorry i have forgotten how much exactly.

http://www.meridianhk.com.hk/

-----------------
    DEAR PREMAMA,
    -----------------
    For my firstborn, when i returned to work, i used a single manual pump and it took about 30 mins (15mins each side). At home, i rented double pump and obviously took 15 mins to pump both sides together.

For my 2nd child, I did not want to waste too much time while at work, so I purchased a MEDELA SWING and used a manual pump on the other side at the same. WOOWW.. .... got everything done in 15 mins and can't figure out why i had the patience before to spend 30 mins pumping.

I would recommend MEDELA SWING to anyone out there. It's so lightweight, quiet (cf other eletric pumps), size slightly bigger than a donut & so portable. And you can adjust the speed. I think the only other portable electric pumps that can adjust the speed is AVENTS UNO, but that more bulky and too many bits and parts to assemble.

cheers,
    =)

twlewis is offline Registered User

Actually, not well stocked...

Thanks for the idea isamummy, but no luck. Be advised that connectors for even some of the popular Medela breastpumps, such as Mini Electric, are not available at CELKI nor from the Medela HK rep, Meridian.

Advice for new mums - rent first, buy second. And buy only models that have spare parts because if not, you're looking at steep costs to get them in a timely fashion (eg. via courier).

Again - if anyone has a connector for a Mini Electric - eg. the elbow piece that allows you to connet the custom PersonalFit breastshields which Medela sells for larger or smaller sized breasts, please advise - I'll pay almost anything to get a hold of one.

Thanks-
    Trevor
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast