Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Irregular/inconsistent sleeping patters

premama is offline Registered User

Irregular/inconsistent sleeping patters

My baby is almost 3 months old but I'm still feeding him (exclusively BF) every 2-3 hours at night. Sometimes, she will sleep for 4-5 hours but the next day she will revert to 2-3 hours.

I read that 3-month old babies should be able to sleep "through the night" i.e. 5 -6 hours.

I'm getting slightly concerned as I'll be going back to work in just over a month and I'm hoping that I will not have to wake up so many times in the night.

Has anyone else experienced this and any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

Thank you!

momofthree is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    None of my three ever slept through until about 6 months-they were all exclusively BF until 5 months when I introduced solids.My youngest is 6 months now and goes down at 7pm wakes at 2 for a feed and then up at 5:30 for the morning.

I never tried to do anything about it just ran with it.Tiring but I just went to bed when they did.

I would think a good portion of exclusively BF baby will not sleep through by 3 months.If you can I would have baby in your room or in your bed,that way you can still sleep while feeding.Often I don't even recall waking up to feed.Only later do I discover baby next to me in the bed!

Worked well for me and it was over all too soon.

Good Luck!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    my baby slept through from 2 months. she is now 7.5 months and has been waking up for the past couple of weeks about 3 times per night. she's getting her first teeth, so that's what i think is causing the problems.

she was also exclusively bf until she was 6 months when i introduced solids.

good luck!

AG2007 is offline Registered User
    Tung Chung
    My baby is about 3 1/2 months and in the past few weeks has been able to sleep for 1 long stretch of 5 hrs, but in the past few days has reverted to waking (and feeding) every 3 hrs at night. I do hear that every baby is different and that many do are not able to sleep thru the night till about 6 mths when solids are introduced.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    My youngest did not "sleep through the night" until he was over 1 year old and he was drinking formula by 4 months & chowing down solids at 6 month.

Each kid is different & do what you can to preserve your sanity.

I went back to work when he was 2 months old. How did I cope? I usually went to bed at about 7:30 or 8pm and Mr. Husband dealt w/ him if he fussed until he went to bed at around 11pm. When the baby woke up at midnight or 1am I would then nurse him or comfort him & try to get him back to sleep. If I was still exhausted at about 4am or a bit later, I would sometimes ask my helper to take him so I could catch a short sleep (maybe another 2 hours) until I had to get up & perpare the elder one for nursery school and myself for work.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    I have to agree that each baby is different!

My son was breastfed and didn't sleep for more than 2-3 hours at night until he was 8 months old at which point he started sleeping around 6 hrs at a time and then around 9 months he started sleeping 10-12 hours a night!

I don't think the breastfeeding was to blame, I think even if he hadn't been breastfed his sleeping would of been the same. Either way I wasn't prepared to give up breastfeeding just because he wouldn't sleep!

We tried everything to get him to sleep for longer when he was smaller but nothing worked....he just did it by himself, when he was ready.

It can be so frustrating...and sleepless nights can get pretty awful. My husband and I would take it in turns getting up at night, and at one point slept in shifts! I couldn't have done it w/out him!

premama is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

My baby now sleeps for 4-5 hours (usually from 9pm to 1am or 2am) then wakes up every 2 hours.

Ideally, it would be great if the 2 hours could be extended to 3 and eventually 4 so that we only have to wake up once a night - has anyone experienced/tried this? I read that feeding every 2 hours is not necessary for babies this age - but at the same time, I'm not sure if it's a growth spurt....

ELT is offline Registered User
    Mine started sleeping 5 to 6 hours since 3 months but he would still wake once or twice during that period for a sip of water or his best friend (dummy), then fall back to sleep straight away.

Now he is 12 months and sleep from around 8pm to 7am. Still take his midnight feed. And still wake for his water/dummy.

I have not had a good night sleep for a year now. (ok, i exaggerated. I did have maybe 4 or 5 good night sleeps)