Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

CIS - Chinese International School

wonderful is offline Registered User

CIS - Chinese International School

Does anyone know how much the debenture is for CIS? Is it true that it is much easier to get in once a person holds the debenture? I have heard that CIS is impossible to get into. Is it true? Thanks so much for any comment.

Wishing Tree is offline Registered User

CIS Debenture

We have just submitted an application for our daughter and were informed that the (personal) debenture would be $75,000 (refundable when the child leaves the school).

Having said that, I have heard that outrageous sums of money have been exchanged for private debentures, making direct entry into the school for the child a lot easier, if not a given. It doesn't surprise me that this happens, but I do feel we need to trust that the system works for people who do not happen to be in this super-rich, super-connected bracket.

Some friends of mine who have children in CIS have suggested that you prepare your child for the interview because the school places quite a lot of importance on the performance on the day. I guess, this is something that - to a certain extent - is within your control.

Good luck.

wonderful is offline Registered User
    Thanks alot for your comments and suggestions. I agree with you that it's quite crazy for the school to only accept people with like 3 Millions dollars to spend on debentures. There are many kids who are brilliant but are not from the super wealthy families and it would be the school's loss to only accept those with money. Ok, I will see what I can prepare for his interview. How old is your kid? I am thinking of applying for the kindergarten class but since he was born in 2006, they will not accept the application until 2008.

Good luck to you too. =)

2.55 is offline Registered User
    We currently have a child in CIS and I too agree with Wishing Tree that the interview is a very important process of the application process. This is the time when school administrators are able to carefully observe each child not only on an intellectual level, but also socially and emotionally among their peers. Make sure that your child gets plenty of rest the nite before and don't put any pressure on her by telling her that she's going for a 'test' or 'interview'. We simply told our daughter that we were looking at different schools for her and this was a way for her to see the school, meet some teachers, and meet other children. I even told her she was going there 'to play'.

As far as guaranteed entry goes for those with private debentures or extremely generous donations, don't believe everything you hear. I know a family who purchased several private debentures and their child has been rejected several times.

Good Luck!!

Wishing Tree is offline Registered User
    Wonderful,

My girl was born in 2003 and is 3, going on 4 in November. As such, the application is going in this year. If she is accepted, she'll be starting what CIS calls "Reception".

2.55 has given some excellent advice - thank you! I just want to add that in addition to evaluating your little one's social and emotional skills, the school also looks at what I understand to be physical skills, i.e. running, jumping, etc. When my friend told me that this was done, I was initially quite surprised, but on thinking about it more, it sounds like quite a sensible thing to do. By doing this, I guess they are looking for all-roundedness in a child.

I'll try and keep you posted about how everything goes.