Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Air Conditioners

twlewis is offline Registered User

Too cold...too hot... too cold... too hot.

I sympathise with all the posters here... I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how to manage my 7-day-old son's temperature in his room and in our apartment. 18 seems impossible. 24 seems reasonable. But everything I read tells me that's not correct. Matilda's nursery seemed warmer than the delivery rooms and the delivery room had a thermometer on the wall that read 23. I just purchased a baby monitor that includes a temperature reading and plunked it in his bassinet - just for curiousity. The air temp was 22, the open part of the bassinet was 25 and the temp near him was 27. He was in a short sleeve onesie and a very light Kushies receiving blanket drapped lightly over his midsection and legs - but I give up. Any suggestions ? Do I really need to start buying blocks of ice to drop the temp ? But worst of all, he sleeps so much better when I swaddle him but that means he overheats. Arrhh !! I think there's a market for a swaddle blanket made with special Dupont/Coolmax material that allows for the baby's skin/body to breathe well. Any entrepreneurial takers ?

Frustrated Papa.

spockey is offline Registered User

We have never worried about the temperature in our bub's bedroom. But this is what we did when he was a newborn... He always wore a Bonds Wondersuit and we swaddled him in a thick cotton or light woolen blanket. Sometimes, I even used a cotton muslin wrap. He was a winter bub so the heater was just round the corner from the cot. When we moved here, it was summer and while we never needed to swaddle him, we never had a blanket over him as he always kicked it off.
    So, we had him still in a Bonds wondersuit and a grobag with the air-con on between gauge no. 4 and 7... depending on how hot it was that day.
    Since we've been in HK, we've had the aircon 24/7 as long as he is in the room. When he's not, we let the breeze in. The humidifier is always on and the air-purifier remains on 24/7 too.

So far, so good. Don't sweat over accomplishing what's perfect too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top