Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air Conditioners

snuggles is offline Registered User

Air Conditioners

Just brought home my newborn and to keep the room temperature at the suggested 25 degree celcius (let me know, if otherwise), it seems best to use the air conditioner. Using a fan has been too noisy and opening the window just doesn't even give a slight breeze.

My concern is that using an air conditioner 24-hours a day may not be a healthy solution - compared to having 'fresh air' and also the possibility of causing dry throats (as I often feel my throat to be quite dry by the morning) and dry skin.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I should buy a humidifier - the ones I have seen at Chicco are quite expensive AND there are two models - one producing cold air and the other hot air - which one is better - any other place which sells less expensive ones?

Many questions from this new mom to the experienced ones out there!

Thanks in advance.

RebeccaMB is offline Registered User
    put a bowl of water (warm water if you like) under your bub's crib. it will keep moisture in the air.

I could be wrong, but i seem to remember the "ideal" temp being quite a bit lower than 25oC ... i remember Matilda nursery being closer to 18 (tho that could be wrong too). I do know the cooler the better tho. With that said, i could never "achieve" an ideal temp in the house. in summer (apr-end of sept) was always warm, even with a/c (we have a big bedroom). just make sure bub is not over dressed ... when we brought our son home (also a sept baby), he usually just wore a onsies adn then was swaddled in a receiving blanket.

i'd be worried that a Humidifier (hot or cold) would generate extra mold in the room. a bowl of water can be contolled (just dump it out) ... we still use a bowl (or fill the bathtub) in teh winter when it gets more dry.

you're right tho ... a/c 24/7 isn't healthy ... but in hk there's not a lot of choice ...esp with the pollution as bad as it is at the mo; it's not as tho i'd want to open up the windows and say "ahh"
    HTHs

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I think the recomended temp. for a nursery (according to SIDS website) is 17 egrees celsius, a temp. we found almost impossible to get even with the air con on.

The only problem is that there is very little 'fresh air' in HK, and keeping a window open only lets in the pollution rather than anything good! It's impossible to escape the pollution but I'd rather not let it into our house!

Our son sleeps with aircon on, pyjamas (Long sleeved w/feet) and aircon on- I put a blanket on him but he usually kicks it off. As a small baby he use to wear pyjamas, grobag and have aircon on. It is just too hot without aircon. However we only put the aircon on when he sleeps in the day and at night; when he is awake we have a ceiling fan and a floor fan- so air con is not on 24 hrs a day.
    He usually just wears a nappy at home when he's playing. Although he now likes to take his nappy off and waddle around as bare as can be!

coffeebeenz is offline Registered User
    I have the same question. Due to have a baby very soon and wondering what to do about our very warm bedroom. Temperature is often 27 or more but as it is a small room I am reluctant to put on the aircon / fan as it gives even hubby and me a sore throat/dry eyes, (even with humidifier on), so I am sure it can't be good for baby. Not to mention all the extra bugs etc. humidifiers can cause. Even though all the sites I have referenced maintain that the ideal nursery temperature is 16-20, I am not sure that this is realistic in HK even with aircons at this time of year (and let's face it, millions of babies have been surviving in hot climates for millenia without aircons or fans). At the moment I am thinking to have aircon on in an adjacent room to cool somewhat, use the bowls of water to humidify as suggested in an earlier post, and dress baby appropriately...I guess a short sleeved body suit/light swaddle blanket. Any other comments or ideas very welcome.
    Last edited by coffeebeenz; 09-18-2007 at 07:12 PM.

cemily is offline Registered User
    Adventist recommends 17-20C room temperature for my son when he was born (4 years ago). We tried to achieve it and I always felt cold in his room. In hide sight, I should not have followed that advice. I suspect it had adversely affected my son's respiratory tract/system. It might have contributed to his asthma too.

rgds

e

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    How humid should the room be? I keep the room temp at 20-21c. She wears long sleeve and long pant with a grobag. Her arms and legs are usually cold in the morning. IS this ok? Anything lower than 20 c seems a bit too cold.

cybabe is offline Registered User
    I have tried to keep the room temp at 25c I find is too hot for her she sweat but when i touch her hands they are cold ! I don't know whether i should judge the temp with her hands or body .Any idea ?

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi,

having cold hands is not an indication that a person is cold - its a blood circulation thing! (I often have cold hands and feet even when I am in none airconditioned places!!) To see whether a child or baby is cold, I think you should feel the nap of their necks.....I agree, although the baby books say 16-20 degrees to prevent SIDs, that is very cold and hard to achieve in the tropics- I kept my son sleeping in an airconditioned bedroom at about 21.5 to 22 degrees (even today), he wears long sleeve tops and pants and a 1.0 tog grobag (anything more than 22 degrees he would wake up perspiring)....never bothered with humidifiers or bowls of water except when he had a nasty cold that resulted in a blocked nose....just make sure their cot/bed doesn't get the direct draft from the aircon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top