Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby refuse solids

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Baby refuse solids

We are feeding our 11-mth old with 2 meals (lunch and dinner) solids - usually congee and recently we introduced macaroni. When we go out, we would give him baby food. But lately (actually for almost a month now), he seems to have lost interest in solids, dinner time in particular - he would take 4 or 5 spoons than starting shaking his head and pushing away the food.

1) is it alright for an 11-mth to rely mainly on formula? (he just learned to walk and is practically on his feet few hours a day)

2) what can I do to stimulate his apetite?

momofthree is offline Registered User
    I would suggest a bigger variety of foods at this age to keep him interested and also he should be having finger foods by now.Feeding himself will also make his mealtimes more fun.

good Luck!

carang is offline Registered User
    just think by 1 year the child should be able to eat everything you do. by giving he such a small variety, he's getting bored!

he should also be eating 3 meals per day now.
    good luck!

spockey is offline Registered User
    How about something sweeter or has more flavor? My bub won't eat anything that had no flavor. If we gave him congee or plain macaroni, he'd take a few mouthfuls then would show signs of rejection. So we had to always mingle boring food with something else e.g. peas, pumpkin, bits of mince and an herb, beetroot etc.

Good Luck!

JasmineTea is offline Registered User
    I know how you feel as my daughter is going through very similar stage like yours: not eating any of the food she used to love.

Our doctor thinks that it was likely due to iron deficiencies, which could also affect her appetite. He gave us some vitamin supplement, & she seems to be doing better. But I am still holding my breath as she still doesn't much enjoy her solid food.

Frankly, for the past month plus... her main diet has been back to formula & she is about your son's age.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    Dear all, thanks for your input.

We gave him food from our plate when we ate out yesterday and he welcomed anything we fed him. Maybe he really is bored with congee and how we always cook his meal the same way. Will try with more variety. Will also ask the doctor about possibility of iron deficiency.

Neha is offline Banned
    At that age u should probably give him everything u eat minus the salt. U should give him bread to munch on, some finger foods, rice with mixed vegatables, some fish . Everything possible