Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Pollution always this bad?

mommy sara is offline Registered User
    Yes,the pollution is very bad here. It seems so bad to most expats because we compare it to our home countries. Take a trip to the mainland and then it may not seem so bad here. That's what most Chinese are used to and most aren't really motivated to change things.
    Last edited by mommy sara; 09-30-2007 at 08:59 PM.

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    i agree with mommy sara. for us, we know how wonderful to have fresh air back in our home country. whereas for the local, they are used to the lifestyle or pollution in hk that they don see the need to change. sometimes, i feel that it is the polluted air here that caused pple in hk to cough so hard and this is so detrimental to their health.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Yes the pollution in HK is bad, and seems to have deteriorated rather fast in the last couple of years.

But for some of us HK is home, and returning to our 'home' countries is not always a viable option- which means it falls on us to do something about it....we can complain about the govt. inability to do anything about it forever, but at some point we all have to assume some responsibility for improving and protecting the environment around us, if not for us, then for our children.

Instead of arguing about how bad HK's air it is, and who is leaving as soon as they can because of it- why not focus instead on what we can do to improve the air, and what we can do to encourage the govt. to improve the air.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Just a couple of articles for the disbelievers to check out.
    http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx...x2991187.html-
    second last paragraph- "The survey came after recent calls from members of the British, Canadian, Australian and Japanese chambers of commerce in Hong Kong urging the government to act against rising pollution or risk losing the city's international status."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...548021501.html
    First paragraph-
    "POLLUTION is chasing professionals out of Hong Kong and could undermine the financial centre's prospects, according to the editor of the Financial Times Asia edition"

there are so many articles i could point to show that you need expats to make any city an 'international' place. doesn't mean the locals aren't good at what they do just that EVERY city wanting international status needs people from around the world.

just type in 'expats' and words like 'leave hong kong, leaving' etc into google and you will see that despite the arrival of some new recruits more people are leaving than coming.
    "Recent figures gleaned from the arrivals and departure figures of the Immigration Department show the number of Western expatriates in the city of 6.9 million has dropped from 106,740 in 2001 to 71,150 in 2006. The fall in British expatriates is particularly steep, dropping from 13,490 in 2005 to 11,420 last year" can't argue with the facts.

I agree that pollution is one factor that may drive people out of HK- but I don't think it is the only one....things have changed a lot for expats. over the past ten or so years. Expat packagaes are no longer as good as they once were (for the majority of people) aand yet hsing rents and school fees continue to rise....and school places are harder to come by.
    A lot of expats have relocated to China- espec. a lot of those who own their own businesses.
    There has also been a greater push in HK for 'localisation,' that is training and hiring locals for jobs tradit. done by expats....yes, I agree, immigrants are imp. to an 'international' city but HK is less reliant on them currently than it once was. HK currently seems more keen on attracting talent from the mainland than from anywhere else- and there the pollution, I believe, is even more horrnendous than here.

Still it is interesting to think- what are we as HK residents doing about the air? Am trying to find ways to 'do my bit,' as it were....would be interested to hear what others are doing in a bid to reduce the impact of their carbon footprint!

Neha is offline Banned
    Agree with Bekyboo44 we as individuals should our bit . Less water wastage, less use of electricity. no plastic bags for shopping, using public transport system, dont let your cars running idle. Regarding government , I would like to know how many of us on this website know our disctrict councillors and have actually met them or written to them about the pollution problem. It is of actually of no use to " scream" about the problem on this website.

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    I think it's useful to "scream" about it on this website because I think the more this topic is brought up the more people are likely to take action. Anyway what I would be interested in is exactly what other people are doing to help. As Neha mentioned there is the no plastic bags, using public transport, not letting cars running idle, conserving at home. I do all of that (don't have a car though) but what else are you all doing??? I definitely don't feel like I do enough.

I think it's important that we all do our bit, and I seem to do much the same as the other posters (in terms of conserving etc.) but I agree, it isn't enough....at least it doesn't feel like enough. I try to encourage those around me to do the same- but my extended family are rather reluctant to do their bit!

I do think Neha has a point, and I do think it would be a good idea to express our ideas outside the forum so that the people who can actually bring about the changes get to hear our views. In December HK will hold it's legislative elections, and having never voted in them before, I have decided this yr to do my part and am trying to find the councillors who seem committed to the environment.

I had hoped that the air pollution had gotten so bad, that it would spur the govt. into action- but it doesn't seem to have, at least not with the urgency I'd hope for.....!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast