Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Pollution always this bad?

lantau35 is offline Registered User
    Three things we did - got rid of our car, have reduced our electricity consumption by around 30% per month and rarely if ever use plastic bags from the supermarket anymore (sometimes it's unavoidable, but usually we can plan ahead).

But - or should that be BUT - while we can all do our bit in such a way, there are geopolitical issues way bigger than this causing pollution in HK. So much of the pollution is now coming in from the factories and industrial just across the border in the mainland. Who is going to take them to task? Your local representative? Fat chance. Even our leader is not elected - he has to dance to the exact tune they want to play in Beijing.

Since there is no true democracy here or even a trace of democracy in the Mainland, screaming through sites like this is actually more effective than talking to those political lackeys in my view. Only by raising the issue in the public domain can enough of us put enough pressure on and let people know what's really going on - that HK is rapidly losing it's competitive advantage due to the serious air quality issues.

Comparig the pollution here to cities on the Mainland is pointless - don't we all want to avoid HK becoming just another polluted Chinese city? Are our kids really going to breathe any easier if we tell them "don't worry, the pollution is WAY worse on the Mainland"?

Neha is offline Banned
    U think Chinese fty owners or Communist party leaders or even the HK government officials browse this website? DO u think that half a million people are going to march for pollution like they did for democracy ? I still think u need to pressurize your elected officials.

Even all of us talking about pollution, what has it achieved? Has anyone come with a plan of action? Are u organising a rally? I think at this stage u need more action than just mere screaming on this website

I agree with u that saying the pollution is far worse in other chinese cities is no big help in selling HK's image as a world city

lantau35 is offline Registered User
    You're either willfully or accidentally not understanding my point - I'm not suggesting that the officials browse this site. I'm suggesting that by encouraging each other we continue to spread the word about how bad the pollution is here and how Hong Kong is losing it's competitive advantage because of pollution as a result - we can then make that point to ALL those that we can (whether government, companies, chambers of commerce, business forums or to ordinary HK'ers). As you should know, companies and chambers of commerce and other business forums have a lot more power and clout in HK than the local ward "representatives" who spend much of their time thinking about more mundane and very local issues.

It all helps, so go talk to your local representatives if you wish (I don't know if you actually do), but don't be surprised if they are more concerned with issues about whether or not to build a swimming pool/or are lobbying to keep a local village school open etc. I don't think it's the most effective thing to do though and I certainly don't agree that people should not be raising the issue on this site.

Neha is offline Banned
    All people on this website are parents and educated enough to understand the current pollution levels are not doing good to anyone. My main concern is all people talk about doing something , is there somone really doing something about it. Like u said Chambers of commerce etc having more clout that local representative, I am with u on it, go ahead make a letter from this website, geokids.com and all members signing it( I am sure Rani will not have problem with it) and send it to whomever u think will get this issue more coverage.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I agree 100% with Lantau35, it is through discussions on forums like this that people see what others are doing and get motivated to do something themselves. Sadly, i don't think any amount of lobbying or protesting by ex-pats (as the majority of us are) is going to make a difference. It's the locals who have to decide enough is enough and do something about it.

Neha is offline Banned
    So u discuss pollution on this website and dont do anything concrete about the problem ? alot of expats on this website are also permanent Residents in HK so I am assuming HK is home to them also. Just as u would do something concrete in Australia, USA OR Europe why not HK and why just leave it to local Chinese population.

Sad but true , expats/foreigners even living in HK for a long time still consider their home countries more home than HK.

This will be my last posting on this thread as no point in discussing anymore as nothing will come out it. I will do my bit and hope everyone does his or hers

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Neha, you are being quite unreasonable. Do you really think a bunch of expats holding signs up demanding the gov does something about pollution will achieve anything? Come on now. I don't ask people who do two or three year contracts in Australia to lobby the gov to change the hospital problems there or the tax rate... That would be like asking someone over to dinner and getting them to clean up the mess your children made before they even arrived.

I'm surprised by how much you seem to want to chastise us on here who complain about pollution as if we do nothing ourselves for it simply because we don't write letters or march or whatever you would have us do. not sure how you made the leap but whatever floats your boat. I think if you actually read the posts you will see everyone talking about the things they do.

As for your comment 'Sad but true , expats/foreigners even living in HK for a long time still consider their home countries more home than HK.' Of course HK will never be considered home for many of us. That's life and it's certainly nothing to hold against us. Why is it sad? I don't think it's sad that people who go to Australia for a gap year don't then call Australia home.

I think it would be sad for that to be your last comment when clearly you are such an environmental activist. perhaps you could fill us in on what you do to change the situation so we can join you.

Blee is offline Registered User
    Aussiegal gal said -- "I agree 100% with Lantau35, it is through discussions on forums like this that people see what others are doing and get motivated to do something themselves. Sadly, i don't think any amount of lobbying or protesting by ex-pats (as the majority of us are) is going to make a difference. It's the locals who have to decide enough is enough and do something about it."

I don't agree what you said about the expats not being able to make a difference. As you and other expats have been saying on this thread, you guys are vital to Hong Kong being an international city, Hong Kong will lose its position and competitiveness if it weren't for the expats here blah blah blah, then why not help lobbying for less pollution? You guys are important guests here and people will listen to you. Why not march on the street too for what you believe in (there is an annual march on 1st of July every year)? Hong Kong is very open about people marching on the street for whatever cause - young government doctors wanting less overtime and better pay, old people wanting better social welfare, construction workers wanting to improve their minimum wage etc etc, why not expats protesting for the terrible air condition?! It will certainly make international headline (SCMP will definitely cover it and so will many other journals) and I am sure the government will react to it.

So instead screaming on a forum with only a handful of readers, please help by going out there and scream in front of the world.

Even though it is not your home, it is still for a good cause and I am sure Hong Kong people will greatly appreciate it.

And Neha, don't get frustrated by the comments of one or two. Please continue to contribute to this discussion because I believe many people are with you on this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast