Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Folic acid tables/Folate tablets.

Anamaj is offline Registered User
    I'm 7 weeks preggy and i've been taking "Materna"aside from this do i still need to take some other vitamins?

spockey is offline Registered User
    Anamaj, during my first pregnancy, the only tablet I needed was folate. My OBGYN did a blood test to check if I needed any other supplement. I didn't. Best check with your OBGYN and not self medicate.

Lovely Chu Chu is offline Registered User
    Did anyone try Elevit before? Is it good?

Anamaj is offline Registered User
    MayC, i had an IVF in QMH and i am now 2 weeks preg.and my doc never prescribed any vitamin or folic acid. i know that folic acid is very important for the first trimester. some people said not to take any vitamin some said need too. i am now confused whether to stop or continue taking "MATERNA"

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Congratulations Anamaj! Btw, I'm also on Materna which I bought from Canada as well as some Folic acid (1mg). When I asked my OB (Philip Ho) about this, he seemed pretty relaxed and said "take both - why waste it?". I think it's dangerous to take too much of certain vits - like Vit A - but from what I've read and heard, extra folic acid is just excreted with no harm to bubs. During the first trimester (I'm now 18 weeks), I took Materna when I could (ie. non-queasy days) and just folic acid (much smaller pill) on other days when I couldn't stomach Materna.

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    When I was pregnant last year, my private OB said just take Materna is more than enough. He prescribed a whole month of Materna for me at each visit and told me to take it after giving birth if I am b/f. I bought one after giving birth at the chinese pharmacy. I would say Materna does give me good energy through out pregnancy and during b/f.

Clowe is offline Registered User
    Well it sounds like different doctors really have different views on this... we go to Dr. Dawkins and he has a very relaxed approach to prenatal vitamins. He told us that folic acid stops being useful after 8 weeks so any folic acid you take after this threshold isn't doing any further good. He also has the view that Materna and other prenatal vitamins are really not that necessary and are over-marketed / over-hyped in terms of the benefits they provide, UNLESS your bloodtests show that you are lacking in certain areas (iron, etc). I am 13 weeks and my blood tests came out fine apparently so all I am doing is eating healthily and keeping a healthy lifestyle. We trust Dr. Dawkins and he is the kind of doctor who calls a spade and spade, offers empirical evidence for all my questions (such as "do I need prenatals?") and doesn't necessarily buy into the hype.

I would say it depends on your test results... do you know if you are iron deficient or naturally deficient in any other minerals / vitamins?

arleneli is offline Registered User
    Can any of you tell me where to get materna in hongkong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast