Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Living in Sai Kung with baby?

beautifulday is offline Registered User

Living in Sai Kung with baby?

Hi,
    I would really like to know your thoughts on Sai Kung? My husband and baby 11mths are thinking of moving there. Is it very far to Shenzhen, my husband will be travelling there for work.
    Does Sai Kung have a lot of things to do and is it easy to meet other expat mums. Any good shopping there?

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I have lived in the Sai Kung area for many years and LOVE it. However, it ishorribly long from Shenzhen.

From SK Town Centre, you would either take a minbus to Po Lam for ~ 15 minutes & then transfer to the MTR & ride for abouy 30 minutes to get to Kowloon Tong to transfer to the KCR to ride for about 50 minutes (someone correct me if my estimates are wrong) and then he would still have to pass through immigration & the Chinese immigration. I would say 90 minutes when things go well. Or, you could take the minibus to Choi hung (~ 15 to 20 minutes) and then ride the MTR to Kowloon Tong & transfer for the ride to Lo Wu.

But, if he only had to go to Shenzhen a few times a month it would probably be OK in Sai Kung. Daily, I think it would be a nightmare.

I would recommend that if your DH has to work in Shenzhen (or even travel there frequnetly) you should look for some place along thge KCR (Tai Wai, Shatin, Fan Ling) or Hong Lok Yuen.

All of those places are quite comfortable for foreigners newly arrived in Hong Kong & also have easy access to English medium kindergartens and schools. Once you get up to Tai Po & Sheung Shui, I think it would be harder for you to connect up w/ other foreign mums, (but not impossible).
    Last edited by loupou; 09-23-2007 at 06:39 PM.

cybabe is offline Registered User
    I do agree with Loupou, my husband need to travel to SZ twice a week we planned to move to Sai Kung before but think about the journey ........... it is a nightmare we end up choose to live near KCR line Tai Wai instead.

Thanks for the advice! What is Tai Wai like to live? Do you think this is the best place to live seeing there will be daily travels to Shenzhen?

Bambina is offline Registered User
    If Tai Wai, then I would said Kowloon Tong, this is also along the KCR train, there is a new building call One Beacon Hill!
    Ciao!!!

Thanks. I'll look up Kowloon Tong and get some info. I called a realestate agent in Hong Kong and they said that Shatin or Kowloon Station is the way to go. What are your thoughts on those areas?
    Also, you mentioned Kowloon Tong, do you mind me asking why? i really appreciate your time. thanks

Bambina is offline Registered User
    I would perfer Kowloon Station coz is much easiler to go around, for example to go to Central only take one stop, most of the doctor are there. If going to TST (harbour city) only cost about HK$20, or if you would like go to the market in Mongkok, there are lots of mini bus as well then the good thing is the mall is just right downstairs our place.
    As for Kowloon Tong is just because your husband works in China, and Kowloon Tong is along the KCR train, there is a big shopping mall with nice supermarket as well and most of the famous schools are in that area (also Australia International school)!!
    Ciao!!!

mmm kowloon station is sounding good. is the pollution pretty bad there too? Any parks and places to go for a stroll? Can you recommend any apartments? i was thinking of a serviced apartment to start with so i can see if i like the place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast