Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Staying in a hotel in HK for 2 weeks - how to feed.

piglips is offline Registered User

Question Staying in a hotel in HK for 2 weeks - how to feed.

Hi,

Please help. I am visiting HK with my 10 month old. We are staying in a hotel in Kowloon.

What is restaurant baby food like? I don't want to feed her too much on salt/sugar/msg foods etc... What do you all feed your baby when you are out and about (besides home cooked)?

Any other advice for our trip would be helpful.

Cheers
    Piglips

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I wouldn't give such a young child restaurant food at all. It's not ideal but baby jar food is better than anything you'll get in a restaurant and there are good imported brands available here at bumps to babes and even grocery stores like City Super. When we travelled and our boy was the age of your child we would buy jars like this then heat them up in the hotel. A good trick is to boil the kettle then leave the jar in for a few minutes to heat up! We weren't tea or coffee drinkers so didn't need the kettle for anything else. Worked a treat. If you're out and about you can take the jars with you and ask for cups of hot/boiling water and leave the jar food in them for awhile to warm. i'm sure some people would also recommend making some of your own baby food and freezing it so you can bring it with you but i've never understood how it stays frozen on the trip across..

capital is offline Banned

We stayed in Hk with an 11 month old, we gave him whatever we ate as long as it is not a choking hazard. He never ate jarred baby food, so there was no way he would start just because on holidays. W ehad an apartemnt so had some home meals, but mostly ate out, but did have the fridge so he did have milk, and he breastfeed too, so I didn't worry a whole lot about milk intake. Did't give him any streetfood though.

spockey is offline Registered User

Hi. While we kept bub's feeds to mostly jarred food like Aussiegal as there are many good quality organic ones out there now. While we were at restaurants, we kept to basic staples like plain boiled rice, baked potatoes, soft bits of bagels etc. We also used organic cereals that could be simply mixed with boiled water. Most of the stuff we got and needed were from Bumps to Babes and City Super.

piglips is offline Registered User

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I think using rice as a staple and adding jars of baby food sounds like a good compromise.
    How do you all make up formula, do you use tap water and boil and cool ...
    Are the shops you mentioned bumps to babes and city super easy to find? We are staying in Kowloon.
    Cheers

rani is offline Administrator

I don't think you'll be able to boil tap water in the hotel. You need to boil it for at least 10 mins to remove any impurities, and electric kettles switch off as soon as they reach boiling point. I would use bottled water. We sell WildAlp Spring Water on ShopinHK

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=2

kinghk is offline Registered User

City super is in TST (Tsim Sha Tsui). Habour City or you can shop at Toys R Us in Ocean Centre. They sell baby section there.

Neha is offline Banned

In Hotels generally when we travel. WE ask Room Service to fill our flasks and then when finished we just ask them to refill it. Generally never a problem with the staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast